Position/Title: Area Sales Manager – Northern California
Job Location: San Francisco Bay Area
We are a mid-size winery located in Napa Valley producing luxury wines from both Napa and Sonoma AVAs with focus on Cabernet and Chardonnay. This is a fantastic opportunity for the right person to join a great sales culture and represent world class brands!
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Acting on your own initiative and planning to achieve depletion goals for all wines in all channels.
• Work closely with distributor salespeople and District/Field/Key Account Managers to execute programs efficiently and effectively.
• Work closely with accounts throughout Northern California, both On and Off Premise, to secure appropriate and increased distribution, programming, and sales.
• Work consistently with distributor salespeople on sales calls to their accounts throughout Northern California with focus on increased distribution, brand awareness, brand presence, and promotion.
• Educate distributor sales personnel on all aspects of the winery including the history of the winery, the wines and vineyards, and its brand standards.
• Conduct distributor sales meetings.
• Show fiscal responsibility, staying within predetermined budget limits.
• Undertake various promotional activities, such as tastings, demos, presentations to members of the trade and consumers, as well as conduct wine dinners and attend promotional events featuring our wines.
• Lead sales blitzes, surveys, winemaker visits and other sales promotional activities within the region
• Monitor competitive activities in your market and communicate information on competitive strategy and tactics to the VP Sales & Marketing and key distributor personnel.
• Monitor distributor performance against agreed plan and communicate monthly to VP Sales & Marketing and Senior distributor management.
• Manage compliance of National On and Off Premise account programs.
• Work with VP Sales & Marketing to create and implement local market programs with focus on increased distribution and sales.
• Manage POS/marketing materials/sales tools needed for accounts and to ensure timely and effective market execution.
Qualifications and Experience
• Must be a person of high integrity and commitment and possess a strong work ethic
• Bachelor’s degree
• Currently reside in the San Francisco Bay Area
• Current and strong knowledge of the market, key accounts and key buyers
• Minimum 3-5 years work experience with wine distributor or supplier.
• Strong fine wine knowledge
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
• Communicates, interacts, and works effectively with others.
• Strong persuasive presentation skills including the ability to speak before large groups.
• Must possess strong negotiation and mediation skills with the ability to influence and motivate others to meet objectives.
• Must be a self-starter with ability to plan, schedule, and organize calendar to secure beneficial and planned market work, promotion, team sales meetings, and more. Time management is the key to success in this position.
• Work cooperatively as a member of the Sales team and be committed to the overall team and company’s objectives.
• Computer proficiency in Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required.
• Overnight travel will be required.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Must be able to comfortably lift, and move wine averaging 40 pounds per case.
• Background/Credit check required.
• Requires ability to travel frequently and flexibility in schedule to work evenings and weekends as needed.
• 80% + time in the field
• 20% time divided between meetings, presentations, and administration.
• 30% approximate overnight travel
• Home based office
We offer a competitive salary with bonus potential, expense allowance and benefits package including Health Insurance, PTO, 401K.