The Duckhorn Portfolio family includes Duckhorn Vineyards, Paraduxx, Goldeneye, Migration, Decoy, Canvasback, Calera and Kosta Browne, each with its own dedicated winemaker. With more than 800 acres of renowned estate vineyards, along with grapes from the finest growers, each winery has a canvas of lots from which to blend its wines. Focused on optimal grape selection, innovative winemaking techniques and a premium barrel-aging program, the Duckhorn Portfolio is founded on a pioneering spirit and unwavering commitment to quality. The only American wine portfolio in this century with two Wine Spectator “Wine of the Year” winners in its portfolio, the Duckhorn Portfolio wines are available throughout the United States, on five continents, and in over 50 countries.
SUMMARY: This position will work with the Duckhorn Vineyards Winemaking team to create iconic luxury wines in the Harvest 2021 season. Interns will assist with grape processing, fermentation management, and our extensive barrel program, in addition to other essential cellar responsibilities.
This position is an exciting opportunity to work with high-end fruit from many of Napa Valley’s diverse micro-climates and to learn about all aspects of harvest activities in the cellar, as well as assist with some non-harvest cellar activities, such as barrel racking and bottling.
The estimated time frame for this position is August 2nd through November 15th.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Sanitation, including tanks, barrels, presses and cellar equipment
• Compliance with all safety policies
• Grape processing, including receiving and sorting
• Cellar equipment operation, including air, wine and must pumps, presses and de-stemmers
• Fermentation management, including inoculations, active fermentation tracking, additions, pump-overs and punch-downs, and draining, shoveling tanks and pressing
• Barrel management, including barrel preparation, barrel filling and racking, barrel fermentation and barrel topping
• Bottling line operations, including Quality Control, case packing and palletizing
• Other cellar projects and tasks as needed
• Basic cellar skills, harvest experience a plus
• Must have a willingness to learn
• Must have excellent interpersonal skills and great communication, written and verbal
• Ability to follow verbal and written English instructions; Spanish language skills a plus
• Must be a team player, open to suggestions and able to collaborate with others, as well as able to work independently
• Possess a positive attitude, a commitment to accuracy, organization and attention to detail
• Ability to perform the necessary physical labor, including lift at least 50 lbs., climb ladders and stairs, stoop, bend, lift overhead, kneel, walk and stand for several hours, at times with exposure to the elements, including sun and possibly rain or wind
• Possess a strong work ethic, ability to work overtime and weekend shifts as required
• Valid California Driver’s License and clean DMV record required
Duckhorn Wine Company offers a highly competitive and comprehensive compensation. Please respond with a resume and letter of introduction.