SUMMARY: The Decoy Harvest Cellar Internship is designed to introduce participants to a wide range of cellar activities and winemaking techniques. The members of our intern team will learn and apply the practical skills that are essential for achieving superior outcomes in the cellar. This is a physically demanding experience that requires long hours, a flexible schedule, and a positive attitude. In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you will learn the basics of Winemaking that could serve as a solid foundation for a career in the wine industry or be simply a memorable experience that will last a lifetime. Please note: this internship is located at our winery in Hopland, California.
The estimated time frame for this position is August 3rd through November 23rd.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Extensive pressure washing, cleaning and sanitation of tanks, barrels, equipment, hoses, surfaces, etc.
• Harvest preparation, training, inventorying, organizing and setting-up equipment
• Help make juice and wine additions such as yeasts, nutrients and tartaric acid
• Perform cap management activities, including pumpovers and punchdowns
• Barrel work, to include topping, sulfuring, filling and racking
• Participate in juice and wine movements, such as racking, draining, transfers and blending
• Assist crush equipment operators during the receiving, pressing, sorting, destemming and transfer of fruit and must
• Assist with pressing operations, including draining, tank dig-outs and tending press pans
• Participate in the collection of vineyard berry samples for maturity analysis
• Fermentation monitoring; brix and temperature checks
• Participate in juice and wine tastings, as time allows
• May be asked to assist with bottling operations
• Post-harvest clean-up
• Other duties, as assigned
• Ability to work a flexible schedule; early mornings, evenings and weekends
• Positive attitude
• Ability to work in harmony with others
• Effective communication skills
• Sufficient reading, writing and math skills
• Attention to detail
• Adequate manual dexterity
• Able to climb, push, pull, kneel and stand for long periods of time
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Ability and willingness to work in various temperatures and conditions
The Duckhorn Portfolio is North America’s premier luxury wine company, with ten renowned wineries, eight state-of-the-art winemaking facilities, seven beautiful tasting rooms and more than 800 coveted acres of vineyards spanning 22 sustainably farmed Estate properties. Established in 1976, when legendary vintners Dan and Margaret Duckhorn founded Napa Valley’s iconic Duckhorn Vineyards, today, our portfolio features some of North America’s most revered wineries, including Decoy, Paraduxx, Goldeneye, Migration, Canvasback, Calera, Kosta Browne, Greenwing and Postmark. We offer a curated and comprehensive portfolio of acclaimed luxury wines with price points ranging from $20 to $200 across more than 15 varietals and 25 appellations. Duckhorn Portfolio wines are available throughout the United States, on five continents, and in more than 50 countries around the world. Our 400+ uniquely passionate and highly tenured employees typically join us for our employee-centric culture and industry-leading benefits and thrive in the company of dynamic colleagues, a fast-paced environment, and career development opportunities. To learn more about us, please visit: https://www.duckhornportfolio.com/.