Hedges Family Estate Culinary Gardener position:
The Culinary Gardener will work with the chefs to create bountiful organic vegetables, flowers, herbs and fruits. The ideal candidate is an approachable and open-minded worker who understands the hard work, dedication and interaction the garden requires. The Culinary Gardener must have farm and garden experience. In addition, we desire the candidate to have experience in crop planning, greenhouse management, planting and garden maintenance, harvesting and post-harvest needs, irrigation set up and repair and composting. The knowledge of pruning, perennials, lawn and garden equipment such as tillers and food preservation are helpful.
Farm & Edible Landscaping
Annual vegetable garden planning and implementation
Communicate with the chefs and general manager concerning kitchen and business needs on a daily basis
• Perform regular farm and garden tasks including harvest, planting, weeding, bed preparation, and general maintenance.
• Perform daily maintenance of seasonal vegetable crops and maintenance of orchards.
• Plant, manage and maintain the farm using organic and biodynamic growing methods.
• Focus on soil building, crop rotation and integrated pest management strategies.
• Become familiar with different crop varieties and harvest standards.
• Maintain and improve garden infrastructure: arbors, fencing, drip irrigation, long rows and raised beds.
• Maintain perennial plantings.
• Remove weeds and invasive around garden, and estate grounds
• Plant and weed as directed in both the vegetable garden and flower gardens using organic and biodynamic methods (work with vineyard manager to spray preps in conjunction with vineyard)
• Garden production in cooperation with the chefs; harvesting, seeding, transplants and maintaining (weeding, fertilize, pruning)
• Harvest and delivery of vegetable and cut flowers to appropriate areas (chefs, farmers market table outside of tasting room, food bank)
• Responsible for inventory of garden production and working with chefs to create menus around the garden produce
• Managing the chickens (clean coop daily, harvest eggs, change feed and water) in coordination with the vineyard manager, clean and prepare eggs for sale in the tasting room
• Assist other department staff with requests and needs in order to complete guest satisfaction such as providing farm tours in collaboration with Hospitality/wine club director and tasting room manager.
• Manage the look of the estate grounds, weeding, pruning, dead heading
Administration and Maintenance
• Expense control of the garden
• Monitor and report on conditions of crops, equipment, and overall appearance of garden
• Enter all crop and activities into a data management system.
• Maintain and track all tools and infrastructure.
• Perform general upkeep of tools.
• Crop-plan on a seasonal basis.
• Create harvest schedule on weekly basis.
• Ability to work independently, but not in a vacuum.
• Be punctual.
• Have excellent attention to detail, the image of the estate and grounds is high priority.
• Interact and communicate well with all staff.
• At least two years of experience growing produce in a commercial garden or farm.
• Understanding of crop planning principles.
• Speak fluent English, have a driver’s license and be able to lift and carry at least 50lbs.
• Ability to operate light machinery (drill, trimmers, etc.).
• Be able to perform physically demanding tasks in all weather conditions.
Job Type: 40 hours per week February through November (Salary is paid over a 12 month period for 10 months of work)
Pay: $17-19 per hour based on experience
• 401(k) available after the first year of employment
• Employee discount
• 40 hours per week, may include weekends, early mornings, holidays.