Usual Wines (usualwines.com) is a venture backed start-up from the Bay Area that launched in late 2018. We're seeing explosive growth, already moving seven-figure volumes, exclusively through Direct to Consumer. We're looking to quickly level-up our production game in order to meet the growing demand for 2021 and we want to find the right leader to build out and manage production. We have a fast-cycle innovation process which resulted in 3 new product launches last year (most recently a single AVA Mt Veeder Cabernet selling for $20/187ml and our first ever canned product, a proprietary low-abv spritzer). We have an aggressive and exciting innovation plan for 2021, and we are looking for an incredible head of production to help us continue to lead the category!
We are building better brands for the modern consumer utilizing patented processes and formats to drive change within the domestic wine market. We’re seeking an individual who’s enthusiastic about innovation, change, and rapid-scale growth. Someone with an impeccable grounding in traditional best practices for bev. Alc. production and a burning desire to help develop and produce the best new products in the market.
- Own the strategic direction of production operations (develop, implement, and run). Bring experience, playbook, and contacts to move quickly and decisively.
- Accountable to deliver product on time and to quality specifications. Embrace the unpredictability of a rapidly scaling business.
- Work with marketing & winemaking to develop new product formulation and format (traditional and non-traditional). Bring experience on best practices, while showing a keenness to push the boundaries of what's possible.
PRIORITY PROJECTS (90 days):
1. Cans: Come to the position with playbook of contract bottlers to work with, vet them for our needs, negotiate contract, and build SLA with strict QA. Build a critical path towards production in May. Work with winemaker on product development to build a product that meets marketing needs and production requirements to ensure a smooth production run with assured quality.
2. QA/SLA for existing bottlers: Implement rigour around Q1 bottlings to ensure quality production, on schedule.
3. Re-think Production Strategy & Implement new plan in order to meet our forecasted demand, and new product developments.
- Be a leader. This is a high-impact role and you must be able to operate as an owner as you lead your team, and oversee partners.
- Have 5+ years experience in the operations and production of bev. Alc. products, including managing contract bottlers and canners.
- Drive innovation and act as a thought partner as we build and scale new products.
- Be organized. Establishing key processes to ensure we execute on our plans and meet all quality standards.
- Be decisive. You are super confident in your ability and have the knowledge base to tackle any problem that arises in the production environment.
This is a full-time position. Usual Wines, along with our sister brand VINEBOX (vinebox.com), has offices in San Francisco and our contract bottling partners are located in the Northern California wine area. The entire team is currently working remote, but we do look to return to in-office later this year once the COVID-19 pandemic has settled and it’s safe to do so.
- Salary and equity commensurate with experience.
- Performance-based annual bonus.
- Full insurance benefits.
- Unlimited PTO.
- Unlimited wine.
- Partial work from home stipend.