J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines is one of California’s leading family-owned and operated wineries, with sustainably farmed, estate vineyards in Paso Robles, Monterey, and Napa Valley. We are looking for a self-motivated, high energy salesperson to work with our distributor and call on key accounts in Washington and Oregon.
The Area Manager is responsible for achieving sales goals in the assigned geographic territory. This position ensures that distributors and accounts understand the image of
J. Lohr Winery and have the tools they need to deliver the message and increase wine sales. The Area Manager works with distributors and their sales representatives to implement programs and strategies to meet sales goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Exhibit the highest levels of respect, integrity, sincerity, and professionalism in dealing with others.
• Attain sales, distribution and profitability goals for the assigned area.
• Develop relationships with and motivate distributor salespeople during sales meetings, ride-withs, etc. to open and service both on and off-premise accounts.
• Communicate approved programs and marketing initiatives to distributors and assist in their implementation.
• Educate salespeople and key accounts as to the unique characteristics of J. Lohr wines, our estate vineyards, people, production methods, sustainability initiatives, appellations, and how they fit into our competitive set.
• Conduct seminars, tastings, and winemaker dinners.
• Write and maintain key account lists, make placements, and sales at these accounts.
• Track and report on the effectiveness of programs, and recommend corrective action to the Regional and/or Division Manager.
• Assist in the execution of national programs throughout the area.
• Work with other managers and regions to provide support when needed.
• Produce timely sales activity and expense reports.
• Cooperate with personnel in other departments to ensure the best overall results for the winery.
• Maintain a high level of safety awareness in all aspects of the job, including while driving, handling cases of wine, participating in tastings, and entertaining distributors and customers.
• Bachelor’s degree (preferably in business, sales, and marketing, or a related field).
• At least three to five plus years of experience selling wine with another wine supplier and/or a distributor.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully achieve sales goals.
• Strong mathematical and analytical skills and attention to detail are needed in order to understand revenues and expenses, budget and sales plan variances, and to suggest corrective action.
• Exemplary communication, influence, and negotiation skills are required in order to work effectively with a variety of people and foster teamwork.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, allowing the candidate to build presentations, sell sheets, and deliver and respond to detailed correspondence.
• Seasoned organization, reasoning, judgment, and problem-solving skills are necessary in order to coordinate multiple projects, resolve problems, and represent J. Lohr.
• Knowledge and enjoyment of wine and wine culture, varietals, appellations, food pairings, etc.
• Driver’s license with a driving record that is acceptable to the winery’s insurance carrier.
• Willingness to travel with overnight stays as needed.
• Ability to lift and carry 40 pounds.
• Residence in Seattle is preferred, with a working knowledge of the Washington and Oregon markets.
About J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines:
Founded forty-six years ago by Jerry Lohr and still family owned and operated today, J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines crafts a full line of internationally recognized wines from its more than 4,000 acres of certified sustainable estate vineyards in Monterey County’s Arroyo Seco and Santa Lucia Highlands appellations, Paso Robles, and St. Helena in Napa Valley. Offering an expressive range of styles that showcase its estate fruit, J. Lohr produces six tiers of award-winning wines: J. Lohr Estates, J. Lohr Vineyard Series, J. Lohr Pure Paso™ Proprietary Red Wine, J. Lohr Cuvée Series, J. Lohr Gesture, and J. Lohr Signature Cabernet Sauvignon. The company’s online home is jlohr.com.
At the heart of our success is a commitment to forward-looking, sustainable practices, combined with constant reinvestment in vineyards, state-of-the-art facilities, and artisanal winemaking. In partnership with our family of employees, we are dedicated to maintaining integrity and transparency across all our industry relationships, positioning J. Lohr to prosper for many years to come.
Please respond with your cover letter that explains why you are well suited for this position at J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines, along with your résumé.
Thank you for your interest in J. Lohr.