POSITION: Director of Vineyard Operations
Directs, coordinates, and manages all aspects of Vineyard operations for the Far Niente Family of Wineries and Vineyards. Focuses on managing vineyards to ensure ultra-premium grapes, vineyard sustainability, personnel safety, and delivery of grape supply needs. Works closely with finance and accounting to establish and maintain operating budget for vineyard activities.
• Directs and oversees viticulture decisions and practices in areas of plant material selection, vine spacing, canopy management, pest control, vine nutrition and water management to achieve optimum vine balance and grape quality.
• Oversee and direct Farm Labor Contractors to achieve farming plan and desired fruit quality.
• Directs, oversees, and establishes procedures for all vineyard development and construction.
• Create and implement a replant strategy
• In conjunction with Finance and Accounting, establishes and maintains farming budget.
• In conjunction with Finance and Accounting, establishes and maintains CAPEX budget.
• Establishes controls for operation efficiency and adherence to budget.
• Payroll calculations breakdown and reporting for accounting.
• Works closely with winemaking team to ensure qualitative goals are met.
• Utilize specialty crop management software for tracking vineyard operations and reporting.
• Oversee and implement procedures for analyses of crop estimates and yields.
• Responsible for the implementation of vineyard safety program.
• Maintain all required Safety meeting, Pesticide, and Labor records and related licenses
• Create and implement SOPs for all vineyard operations.
• Responsible for the maintenance of all farming equipment.
• Oversees Grower Relations with outside grape suppliers
-Advises on farming standards and desired fruit quality
• Understands our grape supply needs and secures grape contracts to meet production objectives on an ongoing basis.
• Implement succession training plan for vineyard manager position and professional development of direct reports
• Participate in lot evaluation, blending, and bottled wine tastings with winemaking team.
• Participate in sales and marketing activities as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Viticulture, Plant Sciences, Horticulture, or related field. Masters’ degree a plus.
• Ten (10) plus years of vineyard management experience.
• Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
• Thorough understanding of vineyard management practices and their effect on wine
• Demonstrated proficiency in supervising and motivating subordinates
• Commitment to excellence and high standards
• Collaborative, team-player with excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow
• Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
• Acute attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees
• Familiarity with AgCode or similar software system
• Proven leadership and business acumen skills
• Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to deal effectively with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels
• Good judgement with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
• Creative, flexible, and innovative team player
• Demonstrated ability to make successful presentations to individuals and/or groups at all levels of an organization
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, data collection, data analysis, evaluation, and scientific method
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
• Walk, kneel, bend, and stand.
• Work outdoors in extremes of heat, humidity, cold, and other inclement weather conditions.
• Lift up to 35-50 pounds.