Jefferson Vineyards is seeking an ambitious and capable Tasting Room Manager.
Often referred to as the "Birthplace of American Wine”, Jefferson Vineyards is nestled between Jefferson’s Monticello and Monroe's Highland, only fifteen minutes from downtown Charlottesville, VA. Established nearly 40 years ago with one of the area’s most consistent award-winning track records, Jefferson Vineyards is relevant both to Charlottesville’s booming wine industry and its historic ties.
The Tasting Room Manager will join our team as the lead for all tasting room operations and ensure Jefferson Vineyards remains a welcoming destination offering a rich wine tradition and history-centric experience. Accordingly, this position requires strong customer service and managerial experience, willing to work with a diverse team of up to 25 Tasting Room Ambassadors. A strong aesthetic sense, cleanliness, good time management, strong communication and prioritization skills are also required. The Tasting Room Manager will work together with the Managing Partner and the Retail Operations Manager to deliver a consistently exceptional tasting room experience to our guests, and meet all Tasting Room strategic annual sales goals.
This is a full-time position. Weekend work is required, including many public holidays.
• Implements a very high standard of customer service, including customer service training and wine education.
• Creates monthly staffing schedules. Hires, trains and supervises all staff to the highest standards.
• Manages and responds to all customer reviews and customer feedback.
• Creates and implements a yearly strategic plan with tasting room sales goals.
• Provides creative ideas for achieving sales goals each month.
• Manages all wine and non-wine inventory, weekly transfers, non-wine merchandize orders.
• Manages and updates all relevant POS and IT related functions.
• Encourages wine club sign-ups, supports wine club order processing and wine club troubleshooting.
• Ensures all tasting room operations are performed at optimal levels throughout the year.
• Coordinates tasting room payroll with bookkeeper.
• Responds to all tasting room related internal/external communications.
• Two years managing a winery, cidery, brewery or distillery tasting room with over 20 employees. A winery is preferred.
• A proven track record of sales achievement in a retail, or food and beverage environment.
• One year of inventory management experience.
• Experience creating training programs and implementing training programs for staff at all levels.
• A verifiable record of exceptional customer service skills (online reviews, letters of recommendation, etc…).
• Experience working with Point Of Sale systems and troubleshooting issues. Experience using Wine Direct and TOCK is a plus.
• Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, DropBox).
• Strong organization, problem solving and analytical skills. Ability to "think outside the box" and create customer visitation experiences during challenging times.
• Weekend availability is required.
• Ability to work standing up for 8 hours or more, lift and/or pull at least 40 pounds, repeatedly. Ability to work in all weather conditions.
• Knowledge of Virginia wine and the Monticello Wine Trail is a plus.
• Strong work ethic with regards to following CDC guidelines (COVID enforcement of health and sanitation policies).
• Willingness to work in all housekeeping cleaning tasks.
• Confidence in delegating tasks with a positive, helpful and respectful attitude.
• A clean driving record.
• $39,000 - $45,000 salary depending on relevant experience as detailed in the Required Skills section.
• Between $7,000 - $10,000 a year in tips.
• Generous health insurance coverage.
• Retirement plan eligibility.
• Fifteen days paid vacation. Five days paid sick leave. Five days roll over paid vacation after one year.
• Paid maternity & paternity leave. Other benefits...
Start date is end of January, 2021.
$39,000 - $45,000 + ($7,000 - $10,000 in tips)