Established in 1939, Lipman Brothers was the first distributor of wine and spirits in Middle Tennessee.
Lipman Brothers has an extensive wholesale portfolio of wine, spirits, beer, bottled water, mixers, crystal and cigars. We have proven leadership in the marketplace since 1939. The company services all trade channels including retail, grocery, convenience and bars/restaurants.
As a family-owned and operated enterprise, Lipman Brothers serves as an educational resource for both trade and consumer markets. Lipman Brothers is committed to adding value to its customers, setting high standards of respect for its employees, exemplary professional representation of its suppliers, and support for communities throughout the state.
OBJECTIVE: The Director will serve as the primary liaison between our spirits suppliers and internal customers including: Off & On Premise sales teams (in all territories), purchasing, accounting, pricing, merchandising/graphics, and operations. The Director plays a critical role to support the achievement of our Company / Supplier goals and objectives by developing and implementing smart and effective brand plans and programs. It is expected that this role provides best in class customer service and adheres to Lipman Brothers mission.
Industry knowledge: solid understanding of beverage alcohol industry in franchise markets. Stays abreast of current industry news and impact on our business. Understands how each of our sales channels operate and which sales drivers influence velocity including pricing/deal levels, distribution, displays, features and menus. Ability to recommend brand relevant programming.
Brand Standards and Knowledge: Understands and ensures effectively trained sales and management teams on priority spirits brands/skus and execution by channel.
Leverage data to support effective programming.
Capacity to learn internal systems: Diver, Power BI, and Infuzion.
Strong Relationship Skills: Cultivate and maintain strong and positive relationships based on mutual respect. Able to gain alignment and “buy in” with all key stakeholders. Competitive spirit and team player. Strives to develop positive, “win-win” partnerships between our suppliers and each of our relevant internal Lipman Brothers departments including.
Excellent influencing and negotiation skills.
Office / Field Time: Achieves a balance of in-market time (“ride with” surveys) and office time. Target 10% Field / 90% Office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Supplier market visits and meetings – documented with Sales Calendar and Sales Leadership.
• New item and New Package reviews, decisions, and launches.
• H1 / H2, Fiscal Year end critical programming activity.
• Purchasing: monitors stock and supports Purchasing to maintain proper inventory.
• Product Sampling coordination.
• Lead the Reserve allocation process for all limited or channel priority spirit SKU’s.
• Inform local media Supplier/Brand investment to support selling initiatives.
• Guide suppliers on effective and appropriate Point of Sale for our markets.
• Manage pricing and deals that strike balance between market and internal margin expectations.
Sales Performance Delivery and Execution Programming:
• Develop, prioritize by territory, and communicate supplier and brand programming to support delivery of sales performance and execution.
• Effectively manage pricing and deals by channel, execution programs specific to distribution, displays, menus and features, staff-trainings, and samplings necessary to ensure internal and supplier goals and objectives are met.
• In partnership with Supplier, ensure resources available to achieve targeted results. Evaluate and effect sales and execution performance via sales and market managers to focus sales associates.
• Ensure effective communication flow between suppliers and Lipman Brothers teams regarding:
o Supplier / brand goals and performance against expectations
o Market specific opportunities / risks with suggested actions to address
• Effective communication with key stakeholders with Spirits Suppliers and internal Lipman Brothers Departments.
• Recognizing when to escalate critical issues with Leadership.
• Preparation and leadership in supplier business reviews (timing varies by supplier)
• Six month and full year internal executive summary of performance versus LY.
• Daily / weekly reviews to keep pulse of margin, net sales, and volume performance and identification of opportunities to course correct, as needed.
KEY PERFORMANCE METRICS:
• Achieves acceptable internal margin expectation.
• Dollar Sales and Case Sales by Channel.
• Executional support: quality programming that is relevant for customers and prioritized.
• Executional Results: Monitor performance against programming
• Controllable inventory on Top SKUs (top 80% of your portfolio R12 revenue)
• Supplier AR Reporting: collaborative and responsive with Accounting Team contact proactively managing acceptable levels of invoice payments and local programming funds.