Our Rich History:
Established in 1939, Lipman Brothers was the first distributor of wine and spirits in Middle Tennessee.
Lipman Brothers has an extensive wholesale portfolio of wine, spirits, beer, bottled water, mixers, crystal and cigars. We have proven leadership in the marketplace since 1939. The company services all trade channels including retail, grocery, convenience and bars/restaurants.
As a family-owned and operated enterprise, Lipman Brothers serves as an educational resource for both trade and consumer markets. Lipman Brothers is committed to adding value to its customers, setting high standards of respect for its employees, exemplary professional representation of its suppliers, and support for communities throughout the state.
OBJECTIVE: The Director will serve as the primary liaison between our wine suppliers, and our customers including: On Premise, Independents, Grocery and Club, and our internal teams including purchasing, accounting, pricing, merchandising, and IT. The Director will play a critical role to support the achievement of our Company / Supplier goals and objectives by developing and implementing smart and effective brand plans and programs for our sales teams and customers. It is expected that this role provides world-class customer service and adhere to Lipman Brothers mission.
Industry knowledge: solid understanding of how Franchise markets operate and stays abreast of current industry news and impact on our business. Understands how each of our Sales Channels operate and which sales drivers influence velocity including pricing/deal levels, distribution, displays, features/ads, BTG, BTB.
Brand Standards and Knowledge: Understands and ensures effectively trained sales and management teams on priority wine brands/skus and execution by channel.
Leverage data to support effective programming. For example: proficient with Diver, Power BI, Infuzion, etc.
Maintains current account classification: HT/MT/LT or A, B, C, D and relevant segmentation such as On-Premise National Accounts, Ethic, Fine Dining, Casual Dining, Honky-Tonks, and Hotel/Catering.
Partnerships: Strives to develop positive, “win-win” partnerships between our suppliers and each of our relevant internal Lipman Brothers departments including: Purchasing, Accounting, Pricing, Warehouse, Customer Service, and Sales Administration. Good influencing and negotiation skills.
All Channels: Solid working knowledge how each of our customer channels operate along with the ability to recommend brand relevant programming. On Premise, Grocery, Club, Independents, all State territories.
Office / Field Time: Achieves a balance of in-market time (“ride with” surveys) and office time. Target 10% Field / 90% Office or 2 day per month in the field, balanced across all channels. Be credible. Cultivate and maintain strong and positive relationships based on mutual respect. Able to gain alignment and “buy in” with all key stakeholders. Competitive spirit, team player, and fully aligned with Lipman Brother’s Mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Coordinated, focused and relevant by channel, prioritized, SMART (both).
• Supplier market visits and meetings – documented with Sales Calendar and Sales Leadership.
• Fast Starts, H1 / H2, Fiscal Year end critical programming activity.
• Pods, Displays, On Premise National and Regional programming.
• New item or New Package launches.
• Purchasing: monitors stock and supports Purchasing to maintain proper inventory. Knowledgeable with DI, Stateside and other shipping lanes.
• Product Sampling coordination (where legal).
• Own the Reserve allocation process for all limited or channel priority wine skus.
• National and Regional Media Supplier/Brand investment to support selling initiatives.
• Syndicated data (Nielsen, IRI, etc.) to support sell in activity.
• Coordinate sample product with appropriate sales leads.
• Point of Sale.
• Pricing and Deal levels that strike balance between market and internal margin expectations.
Sales Execution Programming:
• Develop, prioritize and cascade effective programming (typically quarterly) to support sales execution including, but not limited to: pricing, pricing deals, displays, PODs, BTG/BTB, Features, staff-trainings, sampling, ads and incentives necessary to ensure goals and objectives are met.
• In partnership with Supplier, ensure resources available to achieve targeted results. Document sales execution programming and completed recaps in a common file for transparency and historical reference.
• Clear, simple, balanced and effective communication with key stakeholders with assigned Wine Suppliers as well as internal Lipman Brothers Departments: email, sales meetings, internal departments, texts.
• Recognizing when to escalate critical issues with Leadership.
• Six month and full year executive summary of performance versus LY and agreed upon plans to identify strong performance as well as opportunities to improve/course correct.
• Seeking key drivers and root cause to better understand what is impacting our business.
KEY PERFORMANCE METRICS:
• Achieves acceptable Company margin expectation.
• Executional support: quality programming that is relevant for customers and prioritized.
• Executional Results: Monitor priority displays, BTG/BTB, Wine List, PODs, Staff-trainings
• Quality Field Time: Monitor execution, competitive activity, validate trends, share best practice
• Controllable inventory on Top SKUs (top 80% of your portfolio R12 revenue)
• Supplier AR Reporting: collaborative and responsive with Accounting Team contact proactively managing acceptable levels of invoice payments and local programming funds.
• Well trained reps/managers…they’re clear on program, brand and priorities.
• Dollar Sales and Case Sales by Channel.