This role is a critical arm of planning and executing the Retail Chain Strategy with a focus on the Grocery, Specialty Retail and Club Channels. This channel is responsible for 50% of the channel ‘depletions’ and 50% of channel ‘margin points’.
- Reports to Division Manager – West
- The ideal candidate for this role will be located in Northern or Southern California
- Key Distributor Contacts: Division VP’s, Programming Managers, Chain DOS’s, Account Executives, Field Merchandising Director, Merchandising DM’s
- Key Customer Contacts: Western Region Account Buyers (Focus on Albertsons Banners, Kroger Banners, Costco)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned):
Annual & Bi-Annual Market Planning:
1. Participate in the annual Operating Planning process for the Chains in CA (Pricing, Programming & Execution)
2. Collaborate with stakeholders at distributor to bring the Hess Family Winery Strategic Plan to life
3. Collaborate with Hess internal teams (Marketing, Finance, Business Info) to drive market insights that streamline efficiency during the planning process
4. Plan the deployment and maximize efficiency of market budgets (Trade Spend, A&P, T&E)
Quarterly/Monthly Market Planning:
1. Prepare & Lead Quarterly Business Review for the Chains. Use insights driven commentary to identify real issues. Use action based conversation to solve gap to goal and deliver plan
2. Collaborate with distributor to build and track trade discounts to maximize Hess investment in the market. Utilize distributor tools (Millennium Marketing tool) to deliver annual depletion plan within Trade Discount Budget provided.
3. Collaborate with State Manager to build Scan/CQD Calendar for key accounts. Communicate bi-annual Scan/CQD Calendar to distributors and key accounts
4. Collaborate with distributor to build and update monthly tracker with Planner Activity, Ad’s, Pricing and Programs vs. LY for each key account (Track Nielsen/IRI driving activities)
5. Monthly Day 1 Communication (Phone call/email) to each DVP, Director of Sales & AE: Reminder of focus items, tools, pricing, etc. for current 90 day period
6. Mid-Month meeting (In person) with each DVP, DOS & AE to run through the PEEC process. Current month progress to goal, risk/opportunity to goal, Map out next month focus, pricing, tools etc.
7. Month end check in (Phone/email 7 days prior to last day of the month). Check risk/opportunities to numbers agreed in mid-month meeting
Field Execution & Market Work:
1. Monthly Meeting with Director of Field Merchandising Managers to drive the PEEC Process
2. Produce and communicate monthly field execution tools (Sell Sheets, Pricing, Planner Summary, POS)
3. Conduct monthly pricing survey for key accounts in territory
4. Attend Field DM Meetings quarterly. Host GSM presentation bi-annual
5. Plan and execute Field Holiday Surveys, Sales Blitz’s and Market Visits
Key Account Management:
1. Collaborate with Retail Chain Manager and Region Manager to design and execute pricing strategy for retail chain channel
2. Lead the development and management of West Regional Chains
1. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
2. Ability to build compelling sales presentations with Sales, Marketing and Consumer Insights
3. Sales Presentation Skills: Must have the ability to present impactful sales presentations to win with Key Accounts
4. Ability to use IT tools available (Hess: Box, Diver, Targit, PMP, Distributor: Millennium Marketing Tool, Nielsen/IRI) to be more efficient and effective in the market
5. Strong Financial Acumen: Must be able to calculate gross profit, retail margin, retail pricing, internal pricing models, trade spend etc.
6. Team Player: Must be able to prioritize tasks and do what’s best for the team. We have a limited sales team and need to be flexible when helping other team members across channels and markets.
7. Positive attitude and strong desire to win
• Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years wine industry sales management experience.
• Chain headquarters call experience at both wholesale and supplier level.
• Demonstrated knowledge of retail chain, category management philosophy, and three-tier distribution system.
• Must have a valid state driver’s license.
• High level of wine industry and product knowledge.
• Ability and willingness to travel 40% or more.
• Ability and willingness to maintain flexible work schedules, as weekend and extended workdays are necessary.
Competitive base salary plus bonus, car allowance, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, matching 401K plan, and Paid Time Off (PTO).
About Hess Family Wine Estates: Wine, art and vineyards create a singular identity for The Hess Collection Winery, one of the five wineries on four continents that are The Hess Family Wine Estates, a family-owned, fourth generation company. The portfolio of wines (The Hess Collection, Artezin, and MacPhail in Napa and Sonoma; Colomé and Amalaya in Argentina offers broad accessibility of price and style, always produced with quality and refinement at the forefront.