Rails Nap is a small, start-up winery in the beautiful and fast-growing wine region of Paso Robles, California. We are perched on a hilltop that provides 360-degree views of the surrounding valley. We are seeking an experienced candidate who is self-motivated, out-going, creative and hard-working to fill a blended position to operate our Tasting Room, Guest Services and Direct to Consumer sales functions for our beautiful winery.
The selected candidate will be responsible for the day-to day operations of the Tasting Room including team building, training and mentoring. Scheduling guest events such as wine maker’s dinners, pick-up parties and special events that include food and entertainment. Also, managing our direct to consumer sales function comprised of the Wine Club, ecommerce and Digital Marketing operations.
Responsibilities of the tasting room and tasting room management and guest services:
• 2 plus years’ experience in managing a tasting room, hospitality, or retail operation with a staff.
• Provide a welcoming and enthusiastic atmosphere for all guests visiting the winery.
• Develop and increase visitor traffic through a creative, compelling means to ensure a memorable and educational guest experience and drive referrals.
• Ability to lead others resulting in a staff that exceeds guest expectations and provides the highest level of guest satisfaction.
• Ensure team members have current knowledge to engage guest conversations on vineyards, varietals, vintages, facilities, local area events, and neighboring wineries.
• Ability to operate on an even-keel and set clear direction during periods of high visitor traffic.
• Create a merchandising system and options for food and wine parings.
• Initiates and implements up-selling techniques in the tasting room, events and wine club.
• Create, develop and implement Private Tasting initiatives that accelerate sales and enhance customer service.
• Possess excellent verbal, written and presentation skills, while delivering wine knowledge information to small and private groups.
• Coordinate participation in local tasting events to raise brand awareness and drive visitors.
• Experience with POS system and the ability to generate reports using WineDirect.
• Experience in event planning, coordination and implementation while promoting wine sales.
• Hire, train, coach, mentor and motivate personnel, create work schedules, conduct performance and counseling reviews.
• Supervise and ensure proper execution of all aspects of Tasting Room operations including customer engagement experiences, opening/closing procedures, facility cleanliness, ensuring all guests and team members follow current COVID 19 directives, inventory management, cash, sales and ecommerce.
Responsibilities of Direct to Consumer function:
• Maintain wine club and oversee day to day inventory management and shipping function to customers and club members and maintain regulatory compliance.
• Prepare creative email and alerts identifying promotions, holiday/ seasonal sales and updates for newsletters and special events.
• Effective in securing and building email lists to increase contacts for special offers and to promote sales.
• Social media and digital marketing engagement experience posting to and promoting feedback and posts from various social platforms to attract qualified customers.
• Collaborate with other team members on annual strategic planning, Direct to Consumer portfolio plan and sales forecast.
• Analyze and monitor referral traffic, sales, average order, and other key performance metrics) to ensure achievement of annual budget goals and to understand areas of opportunity and growth.
• Consistently explore opportunities to create revenue through neighboring hotels, restaurants, other tasting room staff affiliates, club acquisitions, and other sales and experience venues.
Other Personal, General Skills and Attributes:
• Outstanding interpersonal, team-oriented skills with a focus on long term relationship building.
• Ability to problem solve and work well in a small team with a sole owner.
• Ability to manage conflicting priorities and competing deadlines
• Reporting to work as scheduled (on time and on regular basis) is an essential function of the job.
• Responds to emergency calls and ensures operational support areas are covered to provide excellent customer service.
• Attends all required meetings.
• Recognize that leadership, independence, flexibility and service in this role is critical to its success.
• All other aspects of position require work in Tasting Room and other visitor areas.
• Position requires some operation of standard office equipment.
• Able to lift and carry up to 40 lbs.
• Able to stand for extended periods of time.
When up and running effectively, the operations will require additional staff. Your team building and creativity skills will assist in this endeavor.
This is a full-time position that requires weekends, some evenings and some holiday presence. Our tasting room will be opening 4 days a week in the very near future. The off-peak times and remaining days of your schedule will be filled with wine club maintenance, ecommerce /shipping orders, digital marketing, event planning and recruiting and training staff members. Efficient use of time is must.