Position: Estate Host
Department: Direct To Consumer
Reports to: Tasting Room Manager
FSLA Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
The Estate Host is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the club lounge & club terrace. The ideal candidate will champion excellent customer service by creating a friendly & inviting tasting experience for all Zaca Mesa guests. They will be brand ambassadors, sharing knowledge about the wines, winery & vineyard history, and the Santa Barbara County wine region.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
• Constantly seek new and innovative ways to sell wine through incrementally better and unique customer service experiences.
• Must be able to build guest relationship to create an elated service experience.
• Provide the first line of communication to the customer by greeting, directing and answering questions regarding our wines, merchandise, history and facility. Communicate in a knowledgeable, professional and gracious manner that is consistent with the mission of Zaca Mesa Winery.
• Conduct seated tasting flights for individuals or groups of 2-20 people. Guide the tasters through each wine, sharing information about winemaking techniques, vineyard sourcing, and winery history.
• Perform guided winery and vineyard tours to individuals or groups of 2-20+ people.
• Sell new wine club memberships to guests and promote upgrade opportunities to current Cellar Club members.
• Promote all winery events including club, winery, virtual, corporate, and private.
• Assist with special winery functions and events, including trade VIP tours and tastings.
• ID guests to ensure each is of legal age to consume alcohol.
• Ensure tasting room and inventory areas are clean, neat and stocked always.
• Perform facility housekeeping, to include tasting room, restrooms, patios, and break areas.
• Ensure that displays of wine products in tasting room are attractive and maintained.
• Promote the sale of wine products sold in the tasting room, and pursue sales opportunities presented by contact with guests.
• Utilize cash register and POS system to transact sales and maintain tasting room inventory.
• Reconcile daily sales and posts transactions.
• Maintain physical inventory of merchandise items in the tasting room and all front of house supplies.
• Maintain, evaluate and provide periodic reports on the guest comments.
• Perform opening and closing checklists.
• Participate in company and outsourced training classes and seminars.
• Other duties as assigned
• Minimum three years’ experience in a sales/hospitality environment
• WSET Level II, or Certified Sommelier
• Associate Degree in related field or Bachelor’s Degree.
• Must take ownership of job, responsibilities, and actions by being accountable and trustworthy to the organization and customers.
• Computer skills with various software packages including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and point-of-sale applications preferred.
• Must have strong verbal and written skills with the ability to speak in front of people.
• Ability to establish priorities, work independently and proceed with objectives with minimal supervision.
• Interpersonal awareness, relationship management and influencing skills.
• Must be proactive and have strong organizational skills including exceptional attention to detail and follow-through.
• Database management and high-level guest service skills.
• Wine knowledge and appreciation are necessary for this position
• Willing to work, holidays and weekends as required and extended hours in order to complete the job.
• Previous customer service and retail experience preferred.
• Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Events can have higher level of noise at times.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to coordinate multiple projects or tasks. The employee is frequently required to stand, move or walk for prolonged periods of time. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.