Title: Estate Director (ED)
Overview of Winery’s Business:
This is a unique opportunity to become the Estate Director (ED) for a new, boutique winery located at the new Four Seasons Resort in Calistoga, CA (FSNV). The winery produces approximately 2,500+ cases of hand crafted wine by local winemaker Thomas Rivers Brown (TRB). The winery has produced wine over several years from distinct single vineyard sites throughout the Calistoga AVA, the majority of which is CS with small amounts of CF, SB and several other varietals. The winery is looking to bring on an ED to prepare for its grand opening in the late fall of 2020, focusing on executing its strategic brand plan, while working to help finalize and execute its DTC and Marketing strategic initiatives.
The winery’s objective is to focus on the DTC channel almost exclusively so that this sales channel becomes the predominate source of revenue. The Tasting Rooms expects to see approximately 7,000-10,000 guests annually, much of which will come directly from the FSNV Resort. The goal of the winery is for visitors to receive very personalized/curated tours, tastings, experiences that standout amongst peer wineries and matches the level of engagement the surrounding resort will offer. Starting a formal membership program will be a priority focus for the ED, so that loyalty members become the primary customer for the winery and therefore, most of its annual production is solid out upon release.
This Is Also A Unique Opportunity:
• To help lead a pioneering winery in the Calistoga AVA, where extraordinary wine quality is being recognized more than ever by luxury wine consumers.
• Work alongside a world class winemaker such as TRB
• To become a member of a senior management team that will be responsible for establishing the brand as one of California’s pre-eminent producers of CS.
High-Level Scope of Responsibilities:
The ED will provide day-to-day and longer-term general management leadership, direction, strategic/operational business plans and overall sales and marketing business management expertise in the winery’s business, including Sales, Marketing & PR, Hospitality and Personnel Management. The ED will also have primary accountability for delivering the winery’s revenue, expense and profitability results, as well as for driving the winery’s three current priority business objectives:
1. Ensure the winery is profitable within 3 years.
2. Ensure Marketing strategic initiatives are executed so that the brand realizes significant customer conversion to visitation, membership and overall high profit sales.
3. Ensure that the DTC strategic initiatives are executed so that the channels within become the primary sales, revenues and profitability source for the winery.
The ED has direct management responsibility for a total staff of 3 employees, including Hospitality Manager, Winemaker and Marketing/Membership Manager, as well as direct management of Digital/Social Marketing and Content Development out-sourced Consultants.
More Specific Scope of Responsibilities:
• Execute long-term strategic and annual operating plans to achieve the winery’s strategic objectives including revenue, profitability and culture development objectives.
• Provide the ownership and management team with regular, timely, transparent, succinct and executive-level analysis, counsel and guidance.
• Provide executive level direction and oversight across DTC & Marketing areas, optimizing the winery’s Sales & Marketing efforts, brand awareness and profitability.
• Provide all direct reports and extended winery team with clearly communicated vision, mission, goals and expectations, evaluating ongoing performance while working collaboratively to achieve TR visitation goals and wine club (membership) growth objectives.
• Provide leadership and direction to outsourced Digital Marketing and Content consultants by defining duties and responsibilities, setting goals and evaluating performance.
Viable candidates for this role must possess a broad spectrum of general management, leadership, communication, sales, marketing, hospitality and operational skills in a winery environment. While not exhaustive, the following should be included in a viable candidate’s background:
• 3-5+ years of ED level experience with a small, high quality/hospitality focused winery or 5+ years of luxury Hospitality experience
• 1-3 years Digital Marketing experience preferred.
• An undergraduate degree is strongly preferred.
• Strong understanding of the luxury wine DTC sales and marketing.
• Proven forecasting, budgeting, P&L management and variance analysis skills, coupled with strong business acumen.
• Proven ability to identify issues and opportunities, to think creatively, to develop innovative solutions in order to drive business performance.
• Strong interpersonal skills coupled with excellent, clear and concise oral and written
communication, presentation and public speaking skills.
• Demonstrated ability to manage “up”.
• Proven detail-oriented tactical execution with inclination for hands execution when needed.
• MUST bring proven ability to plan, prioritize, make decisions and delegate effectively.
• Must have mastered basic team and staff management and communication skills.
• Computer literate, including high level of proficiency in all MS Office applications.
Key “MUST HAVE” Personality Traits and Qualities:
• Warm personal nature and approach to developing relationships.
• Honest and direct approach to communicating.
• High personal standards and values, including unquestioned ethics and integrity.
• High emotional intelligence and self-awareness.
• Strong work ethic and commitment to achieving results and success in a collaborative and teamwork-oriented environment.
• Must be highly self-motivated, confident, creative, flexible, resourceful and resilient.
• Positive, upbeat with a can-do attitude.