Established Oregon Winery is seeking a General Manager level candidate to increase sales and continue the planned growth of the brand in the Rogue Valley, which is an area currently experiencing an exciting renaissance in grape growing and winemaking. We are also looking to establish distribution throughout the Pacific Northwest within the next 2-3 years. We see a great opportunity for the right candidate to grow along with our business. This is a hands-on position involving existing vineyards and a dedicated part-time team of wine ambassadors in our Tasting Room.
• Tasting room experience
• Hospitality management and training experience
• Appreciation for fine wines
• Proven, successful Sales experience comparable to selling wine
Responsibilities & Duties:
• Manages and performs the daily needs of the tasting room, wholesale sales, and general operation for Winery. The General Manager is the primary contact for Wine Club members, tasting room employees and courier vendors. The General Manager can impact the financial condition of the organization through ability to control costs and increase sales.
• Decision-making: Often you will make judgment calls and decisions independently. Frequently, will partner with the Proprietor on employment matters.
• Problem-solving: A small amount of time will be spent collaborating with the owner and employees to solve work-related problems. Often discusses and resolves problems with the Proprietor that affect the entire organization.
• Working relationships and contacts: Provides sales, financial and marketing data, reports, trends, resources and counsel to the Proprietor. Provides counsel and information to all employees regarding their employment policies and benefits, rights and responsibilities.
• Tasting room management: Maintains a classy, welcoming environment where customers can learn about the wine, taste and compare wines and purchase wines. Conducts ongoing wine and merchandise training and trains all tasting room staff on sales system and sales techniques in order to increase tasting room and retail store sales. Maintains staffing levels and sets and communicates the work schedule. Assigns daily operational and merchandising tasks to staff. Manages customer flow so all customers feel welcome and receive excellent service. Oversees daily opening and closing register procedures and provides bookkeeper with documentation, receipts and cash. Monitors and tracks wine inventory. Ensures merchandise is priced properly and is visually appealing. Collects and submits inventory, sales and tax data to the bookkeeper. Orders and maintains all tasting room and office supplies. Responsible to inform owner about the tasting room facility’s day-to-day needs such as: kitchen, bathrooms, office, patio areas, recycling, changing light bulbs, heat problems, water problems, general repairs in the tasting room, etc.
• Wine sales: Manage the wine club by project and monitor sales, manage and increase membership, ensure delivery, communicate with members to receive feedback, create specials and programs to increase sales. Delegate lower level tasks to staff and ensure quality performance. Manage the various sales channels to ensure a balanced sales growth that is manageable and anticipated.
• Wholesale Wine Sales: Manage all regional sales to restaurant and retail accounts, ensuring that a quality relationship with these accounts is properly maintained while driving new wine placements on on-premise wine lists and off-premise retail shelves. This includes the acquisition and maintenance of distributor relationships.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, or related field, or equivalent experience and education.
The ideal candidate will have experience in planning and organizing hospitality events, developing a marketing plan and performing marketing outreach duties, controlling costs and managing budgets, and setting and reaching sales goals. The candidate should be intellectual and creative, with good verbal and written communication. You must be able to quickly assess customer needs and respond appropriately, and have the ability to train others in soft skills, such as selling and relationship building. Candidate should be able to discreetly handle customers who become difficult. We are looking for someone who is able to create positive energy (motivation) in both individuals and groups, and speaks with enthusiasm. Candidate should consistently set positive examples, possess good coaching and counseling skills, and regularly use goals to motivate. Candidate must be able to define realistic, specific goals and objectives and prioritize those objectives with specific goals with target dates.
We seek candidates whose background and abilities match or can translate well with the following categories:
• Experienced Tasting Room Manager with proven ability to obtain higher sales rates and wine club signups while providing “white glove” or “concierge level” customer service and maintaining a comfortable, friendly atmosphere in our Tasting Room.
• Experienced Marketing and Event Coordinator, who can craft professional flyers for use in the Tasting Room and at off-site events, write blogs to our growing Wine Club, maintain a strong social media presence and conduct a wide variety of small on-site and off-site events that project a classy image and attract high-value clients.
• College degree, business management and hospitality experience and experience in winery tasting room sales and management are expected.
• At least Three (3) years of Hospitality Management experience, preferably in a winery tasting room environment.
• At least 3 years Supervising employees.
• $85K-95K plus incentive bonus & commissions
Please email resume and a cover letter explaining why you want to work for our winery.