PURPOSE OF JOB:
Contribute to the ongoing development and success of the rapidly growing Hess Family Estates luxury wine business.
The primary responsibility of the role is to manage all areas of the Direct to Consumer (DTC) business including: development of ownership’s long-term vision for DTC; Wine Club development, digital out-reach and evolution; Visitors’ Center; e-Commerce; Tele-sales; Events; Ground and garden management; and providing strategic, financial and day-to-day team leadership to the DTC function.
In collaboration with Marketing defined annual brand marketing strategy and plan for Lion’s Head and Hess Collection consumers and experiences.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
1. Strategic Business Leadership
• Create and activate long term and annual DTC business plans aligned with luxury brand positioning and business ambitions, leveraging the most appropriate elements of the marketing mix to deliver step-change improvements to business performance and consumer engagement. Work up, down and across the organization to secure consensus and buy-in.
• Implement aesthetic and elevated vision of winery programs in conjunction with ownership.
• Create compelling programs and events at the winery, as well as outreach and partnership programs, to attract the right consumers, deliver exceptional and unique experiences, and drive club membership and DTC sales.
• Oversee development and drive execution of DTC tactical plans that deliver consistent and impressive financial growth and strategic results.
• Drive financial planning, forecasting, and budgeting for DTC in alignment with P&L/CAPEX requirements. Allocate resources and people in efficient manner.
• Develop processes and key performance metrics to drive results and accountability.
• Review and analyze results of initiatives; develop and execute changes to continually improve effectiveness and ROI.
• Track and report on results for management and staff, including sales performance and other key metrics. Deliver monthly and ad hoc analyses of business results to management. Course correct as needed to deliver against goals.
• Oversee the development of B-t-B and D-T-Club membership outreach programs using email and social media.
• Maintain knowledge of competitors and best-in-class DTC practices in the wine business and other industries.
• Ensure marketing and branding message is consistent with Brand Marketing standards across all channels and consumer touch points.
2. Team Leadership
• Cultural leadership—positive “can-do,” entrepreneurial attitude; build consensus and trust through integrity and sound, well-reasoned decision making.
• Lead, mentor and develop DTC employees as the senior member of the team.
• Create cohesion among Direct to Consumer managers to maximize synergies between channels
• Ensure collaboration between DTC and Marketing department.
• Director of Retail
• Museum Director
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
• Commitment to excellence and high standards, with unquestionable integrity.
• Strong conceptual skills; must possess a high level of creativity.
• Demonstrated analytical skills paired with ability to make well-reasoned, timely decisions
• Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills. Ability to articulate views crisply and convincingly, adapting style so-as to have the greatest impact on a given audience.
• Strong foundation of wine knowledge, including sensory evaluation skills, understanding of grape growing and winemaking processes and knowledge of the world’s most important growing regions. Sommelier/WSET credentials a plus.
• Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to positively influence stakeholders. Ability to develop and mentor a team.
• Ability to work under pressure while managing multiple projects and priorities under tight timetables. Flexibility to adapt the game plan as needed to support the organization’s larger needs.
• Working knowledge of MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Strong interpersonal skills and a positive attitude.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• 8 years’ minimum experience in hospitality across a variety of channels
• BA or BS in marketing or other business-related degree
• Wine industry experience and familiarity with the Direct to Consumer channels preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
• 75% of time divided between meetings and administrative work – will require long periods of sitting.
• 25% of time will require walking, standing, bending, driving and lifting (must be able to lift and carry a 9L case of wine, up to 40 lbs).
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• Travel will be required, though annually not anticipated above 25%.