This position reports to the Associate Winemaker
Dutton-Goldfield Winery is a partnership of grapegrower Steve Dutton and winemaker Dan Goldfield, focused on limited production bottlings of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay primarily from the Russian River Valley. We are a growing, fast-paced winery that believes in working hard and playing hard, and if anything is worth doing, it’s worth doing all in.
• Along with the Associate Winemaker, organize daily, weekly, and monthly workflow.
• Assist with writing and updating of winemaking procedures manual, and train cellar staff on those procedures.
• Maintain winemaking supply inventory and order supplies, including gases, winemaking materials, safety supplies, etc., as needed.
• Delegate cellar job duties according to most efficient flow in the winery.
• Ensure proper writing and recording of work orders.
• Acts as Safety Officer in the winery, responsible for upkeep of winery safety manual and conducting regular safety meetings with team.
• In conjunction with Associate Winemaker, responsible for creation and upkeep of cellar activities manual.
• Assist in planning and execution of bottling runs.
• Mange cellar activities, with an eye toward the highest quality standards in winemaking, including:
o Topping and other barrel work
o General cellar work, including sanitation
o Sampling, wine transfers
• During harvest, manage temporary workers and work with Associate Winemaker to organize shifts and duties
• Along with Associate Winemaker, be responsible for training all cellar workers
• Perform and assist others with lab and cellar work whenever needed
• Perform other tasks as needed – this is a small organization, and a willingness to chip in where needed is essential
• Assist Associate Winemaker with the hiring of harvest interns
CELLAR EQUIPMENT & MACHINERY
Familiarity with use and general maintenance of all cellar equipment to include:
• All crush pad equipment including: presses, belt conveyors, destemmer, sumps, pumps
• Centrifugal, positive displacement and air pumps
• Filtration: lenticular, pad filters, cross-flow, Reverse Osmosis units
• Develop and adhere to a preventative maintenance program
o Maintain all cellar equipment in clean, working order
• Responsible for compilation and preparation of all data for compliance reporting, working with the Dutton-Goldfield General Manager.
• Track all custom crush work and fees for customer billing.
• Ongoing barrel and wine inventory, and work record upkeep.