TITLE: Cellar Master
REPORTS TO: Winemaker - Production
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Direct and supervise all daily winemaking activities performed by Year-Round and Seasonal employees.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: - The job description reflects management's assignments of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Direct daily winemaking activities in the cellar.
• Ensure proper sanitation techniques are employed by company and agency employees throughout the winemaking process.
• Ensure the Cellar Procedures Manual Training Program is utilized to properly train all employees in documented cellar procedures and that these are followed in all aspects of wine processing. Provide input for Manual updates.
• Ensure that all employees attend safety training; conduct and document weekly tailgate cellar safety meetings and promote safety in all aspects of cellar operations.
• Work with the other members of the winemaking management staff to plan and schedule all winemaking operations in both the PRWS and AP cellars.
• Perform role as on-site manager as needed during harvest and peak periods and as member of winemaking management team at all times.
• Complete monthly physical inventory of all products (wine, chemicals, and supplies) by the end of business on the second working day after the first of each month.
• Notify other winemaking management staff members of personal, equipment, and supply needs.
• Participate in tastings.
• Other projects as assigned
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
• Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
COMPUTER AND OFFICE EQUIPMENT SKILLS:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Climbing into tanks, pulling hoses, climbing ladders.
• Exposure to chemicals and machinery required to process wine.
• Exposure to outside elements while working with cellar operation.
HOURS and FLEXIBILITY:
Monday – Friday
Minimum 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week
Long hours during crush and peak periods (including all shifts).
Miller Family Wine Company
2717 Aviation Way
Santa Maria, CA 93455