JUSTIN is growing and looking to add an experienced Assistant Winemaker to lead our bottling operations, as well as assisting in the overall production of JUSTIN wines. Located in the beautiful Paso Robles, JUSTIN Winery makes world class wines that reflect the unique soils and climate of its California Central Coast property. Emphasis is placed on making Bordeaux-style blends and single varietals, combining Old World tradition with New World techniques. The Assistant Winemaker will be responsible for all bottling activities, as well as cellar operations, which will require a strong winemaking background.
Here's what you'll do:
• Work at the direction and expectation of the Facilities Winemaker to manage all aspects of the bottling line and cellar activities to ensure quality and operational efficiency.
• Lead additional members of Winemaking Management Team through daily cellar and bottling activities to ensure the production team understands daily production goals.
• Collaborate with the Facilities Winemaker to create and execute a Bottling Schedule.
• Coordinate shipping, receiving and inventory of all bottling line dry goods and finished product.
• Ensure Bottling Tanks meet all specifications per JUSTIN winemaking protocols, as well as TTB Regulations.
• Participate in sensory evaluations and blending trials as needed.
• When required to, direct all cellar activities including grape processing, fermentation management, additions, movements, blending, storage and the finishing of wines.
• Effectively delegate duties amongst production team and ensure conformance to quality standards, safety standards, in-house winemaking protocols and government regulations.
• Collaborate with the JUSTIN Safety Team; Help create SOPs, training material, etc.
• Manage cellar staff working hours, timecards, vacation requests, annual reviews, and other items as needed.
• Responsible for maintaining the integrity and quality of all wines on premises.
• Collaborate with Food Safety and Quality team to ensure facility is up to current codes and regulations.
• Responsible for maintaining all bottling/cellar/production chemicals, including but not limited to compressed gasses and cleaning/sanitation chemicals.
• Responsible for maintaining all facility equipment and coordinating necessary repairs with the Facility Maintenance Manager, or equipment manufacturer, as needed.
• Any other duties assigned.
Here's what you'll bring to the table:
• Bachelor's degree in Viticulture and Enology, Fermentation Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a related discipline
• Prior Bottling Line experience would be preferred, but not required
• Computer skills to effectively use MS Word, Excel, SharePoint, JDE (Winemaking Programming), and other related software
• Strong organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow.
• Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
• Availability to work a wide range of hours, including overtime, weekend, nights, holidays, etc.
• Strong working knowledge of all winemaking equipment, processes and procedures within the winery
• Experience handling high-volume production levels.
• Ability to manage day-to-day details while maintaining a grasp on company-wide long-term goals for producing a luxury brand.
• Working knowledge of modern sanitation protocols and ability to identify issues and implement ideas to improve current sanitation practices.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with staff at all levels.
• Ability to work within a dynamic and fast-changing environment.
Here's what we'll bring to the table:
• Competitive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Vision, Dental, and 401k with match eligibility.
• Subsidized gym membership.
• Wonderful Giving (www.wonderfulgiving.com) -- allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice.
• Work life integration.
Located in Paso Robles, JUSTIN® Vineyards & Winery was founded in 1981 and is known for crafting world class wines using Bordeaux grape varieties. Widely recognized for their iconic ISOSCELES Bordeaux blend, JUSTIN is also known for their Cabernet Sauvignon. The property at JUSTIN features a Tasting Room, luxury suite accommodations and a Restaurant -- making it one of the only wineries on the Central Coast to offer all three options. In addition to its stellar hospitality offerings, JUSTIN consistently receives top honors around the world, establishing JUSTIN as a leader in luxury Bordeaux variety winemaking. In 2015, JUSTIN was named "American Winery of the Year" by Wine Enthusiast Magazine. JUSTIN wines are available through discerning fine wine retailers and restaurants throughout the United States, or directly from the Winery via JUSTIN's Tasting Room, on-line store or to members of the exclusive JUSTIN Wine Society wine club. To discover more about what makes JUSTIN so unique, visit www.justinwine.com.
JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery is an Equal Opportunity Employer and with opportunities for advancement. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.