Hamel Family Wines, located in Sonoma Valley, California, is seeking a Cellar Lead to assist its winemaking team in annual winery and harvest operations. HFW is a limited-production winery primarily focused on producing high-quality, terroir driven Cabernet Sauvignon blends from estate vineyards in Sonoma Valley and the Moon Mountain District.
The position will implement winery and cellar duties with the goal of maintaining the highest level of winemaking quality and cellar organization and sanitation. The position will report on a day-to-day basis to the Enologist, and to the Managing Director of Winegrowing generally.
Successful candidates will share a passion for terroir-focused wine, an interest in biodynamic grape growing and high-quality focused winemaking practices. The position will be expected to work hard in a team-oriented, exacting work environment, and must be willing to work long, concentrated hours when necessary. During harvest and bottling, the position will assist in the management of seasonal interns and temporary workers.
The person must have valuable experience successfully working in premium wineries, and an academic background in enology, chemistry, food science, biology or a related field is highly preferred. The candidate must also be a high-energy team player who enjoys being part of a successful, growing family business.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and includes benefits.
Cellar Lead Responsibilities
• Implement all winemaking objectives under the direction of the Enologist and Director of Winegrowing including blending, racking, bottling, topping and filtration in the non-harvest period and assist in executing grape processing, sorting, fermentation management and pressing during harvest;
• Assist in management of interns during harvest period;
• Execute all work with a high standard of winery sanitation;
• Ensure all equipment, barrels and supplies are organized and clean;
• Perform and schedule routine maintenance and repair on winemaking and winery equipment;
• Help to maintain accurate inventory of wine on a monthly basis;
• Keep an accurate and up-to-date inventory on barrels;
• Ensure safety protocols are sustained in all winemaking activities;
• Assist in pulling winery samples when necessary;
• Perform laboratory tasks;
• Other duties as assigned.
Depending on the seasonal demand, the position will require long hours at the winery including weekends and evenings.
Cellar Lead Qualifications
• Proven experience with winemaking and cellar practices at established wineries;
• Respectful, driven, hardworking, humble and honest;
• Enology, chemistry or food sciences degree preferred;
• Basic winery laboratory abilities preferred;
• Enthusiasm and ability to engage in all cellar tasks;
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
• Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and produce desired results, meet deadlines, and stay on top of deliverables;
• Ability to problem solve;
• Mechanically savvy;
• Conversational fluency in Spanish strongly preferred;
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.;
• Forklift certification;
• Valid driver’s license;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
Hamel Family Wines is a winery located in Sonoma Valley that produces approximately 10,000 cases of wine per year and is devoted to the production of wines from estate biodynamic vineyards that express a true sense of purpose and place.