Stone Tower Winery
Background– Situated on 306 acres of property atop Hogback Mountain, Stone Tower Winery is a family owned and operated vineyard and winery dedicated to making premium estate-driven wines and creating memorable wine experiences that both inspire and enhance the lives of the people and community we serve. Stone Tower Winery is actively seeking a motivated, focused and enthusiastic individual to join our production team as the Assistant Winemaker. This position offers the unique opportunity to assist in the further development of our already robust estate vineyard and winemaking operations, as additional plantings and a new winemaking facility are underway.
Position: Assistant Winemaker ??
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biology, Agriculture, Enology, or related sciences?
- 2-4 years of hands-on laboratory experience ?
- Strong computer skills: proficient with databases (experience with Vintrace a plus), spreadsheets (Excel), and
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task ??
- Assist winemaker in helping to manage, undertake and record pre-harvest vineyard sampling, harvest
operations, wine ingredient additions, yeast inoculations, fermentation, analyzing, blending, filtering, barrel
topping, lab-analysis, and bottling activities.
- Assist and support winemaker with all production and QC analysis for accuracy and potential wine quality
- Oversee and administer all laboratory analysis and operations; order and maintain all lab supplies and
equipments; maintaining a clean and orderly laboratory space; sending samples to outside labs as needed.
- Prepare reagents, standards, and solutions. Perform juice or wine analysis in a timely fashion, which includes
but not limited to pH, TA, VA, ALC, DO, Glu/Fru, FSO2, TSO2, color index, L- Malic, YAN, heat / cold stability.
- Set up various wine bench trials as requested by winemaker.
- Perform detailed record keeping including: all lab results, wine database system (Vintrace), quarterly TTB
reporting, SDS of all winery chemicals, OSHA & all other legal compliance requirements.
- Assist with all harvest operations including receiving and processing fruit, performing yeast inoculation,
nutrient additions, fermentation monitoring, sample collection, and any other tasks as assigned.
- Ensure Bottling QC: tank preparation according to winemaker’s specification, packaging evaluation, fill
heights, cork moisture, vacuum test, DO.
- Help ensure that all staff complies with relevant safety requirements and to help comply with OSHA regulatory
requirements. Assist winemaker in the development of a safety plan and policy to address daily work
activities, training of part-time winery workers and visitors to the winery.
- Direct, supervise, and assist production staff in performing sampling, additions, inoculations, and any other
production and cellar work tasks as necessary.
- Participate in the interviewing and hiring of temporary supplemental production staff during the peak
production season, the supervising and directing their work.
- Participate in winemaking-related marketing and promotional events, as requested.
- Develop and maintain relationships within all departments by engaging with colleagues with respect and
- Promote a work environment that exudes positivity, teamwork, and gratefulness for all by providing staff with
positive feedback, mentorship, and leadership.
- Must be comfortable and certified to operate a forklift and pallet-jack. (Employer will provide for initial and
subsequent forklift certifications every 3 years).
- Ability to lift and move 50 pounds, repetitively.
- Able and willing to climb and utilize stairs, catwalks and ladders safely.
- Able to perform basic math
- Able to smell and taste wine and other fermented products