We are a family owned and operated winery that strives to be a leader in the wine industry and to work with exceptional people who share our values. We produce many well-known brands from our family vineyards.
This position is responsible for preparing wines for final blends for bottling, working with the Analytical Laboratory to coordinate analyses and Cellar to coordinate process orders. When assigned, the senior winemaker leads product development to include focus on product quality, stability, and compliance. Responsible to maintain and implement winemaking protocols as set by the winemaking team from grape to bottle.
The senior winemaker will also mentor assistant winemakers and laboratory staff.
• Dedicated to crafting quality wines, providing value to our customers, and continuing to improve.
• Understand and comply with all HACCP, GMP and GFSI requirements and processes
• Oversight of all wine operations at designated location.
• Supervise in grape receiving, crushing, and pressing and wine production operations during harvest on days, swing shift, or graveyard.
• Supervise Assistant Winemakers.
• Participate in wine tasting at all stages throughout the winemaking process and responsible for conducting evaluation and recommendation of treatments.
• Competent in all aspects of barrel aging of wine and maintenance of barrels.
• Conduct and manage experiments, including reporting the results, in relation to wine quality.
• Work as a team with Ownership and winemakers on all blends to ensure wine profiles are being adequately filled and bottling requirements are met on time.
• Responsible for adhering to state and federal regulations.
• Contributes to the continuous improvement of the winemaking process and procedures.
• Brand ambassador / spokesperson for the Winery.
• Maintain background information in winemaking database so that winemaking department has current, accurate information for planning the disposition of the bulk wine inventory.
• Counsels all department managers where wine is processed to preserve wine quality.
• Other duties as assigned by Ownership.
Education: Degree in Enology, Winemaking, Viticulture, or related
Experience: Minimum 10 years as a Winemaker to include 5 years of experience in senior winemaking position
• Computer skills require intermediate MS Word, Excel, and other related software
• Versed in doing PO’s and utilizing winemaking software
• Large scale winery operations experience a PLUS!
• Strong leadership skills
• Strong working knowledge of all winemaking equipment, processes and procedures within the winery
• Excellent organizational, problem solving, and multi-tasking skills, with great attention to detail and follow through. Ability to work effectively and independently across departments.
• Experience with both the practical and technical aspects of the winemaking process
• High level of energy, initiative, and creativity.
• Passion for wine and a desire to continue to develop skills