JOB TITLE:Winemaking Intern – Full Time/Seasonal
REPORTS TO: Assistant Winemaker
CLASSIFICATION: Hourly, Non-Exempt
For forty years, Sequoia Grove Winery has been obsessed with the details that go into crafting our Napa Valley wines and single-vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon. Our commitment to quality starts in the vineyard; we grow the very best grapes in the finest terroir to form the foundation of our wines. Quality is intrinsic to everything we do, from winemaking to our gracious hospitality; it’s engrained in our culture and the vanguard of our philosophy. The next step in our compelling evolution began in 2018 with the introduction of our new state-of-the-art winemaking and hospitality facilities. At Sequoia Grove, we’ve been carving our own path for decades while never losing sight of who we are; rooted in history, guided by integrity, resolute in our values, and committed to the future.
Sequoia Grove Winery is seeking a dedicated intern with a positive attitude. The position will start in late-June and end in late-November (subject to change depending on timing of harvest and needs of position). We are interested in someone who is enthusiastic about all winemaking and viticultural activities. The intern will report directly to the Assistant Winemaker with additional support to the cellar and viticulture teams, as needed. The intern will work closely with a small team and perform a variety of tasks. This is an excellent opportunity for exposure to iconic Napa Valley vineyards and state of the art winemaking technology.
• Vineyard crop estimating
• Vineyard maturity sampling and analysis
• Monitoring harvest picks
• Grape processing/sorting
• Daily fermenter analysis including visual and sensory evaluation
• Inoculations and additions
• Cap management assistance: punchdowns and pumpovers
• Barrel sampling
• Winery cleaning/sanitation
• Pre-harvest work on bottling line
• Special projects and other responsibilities, as assigned
• Strong work ethic
• Proactive approach
• Positive, team-oriented attitude
• Commitment to quality, integrity, and safety
• Strong organization and communication skills
• Attention to detail
• Willingness to work until the job is done
• A proven interest in winemaking or viticulture through education or employment
• Prior winery experience a plus, but not required
• Computer proficiency in MS office
• Ability to lift 45 lbs regularly
• A valid CA license
• A majority of the job responsibilities will be performed in the Winemaking, Lab and Production areas. The performance of some responsibilities may involve traveling to other
• Some areas of the Winery are cold, wet, slippery and noisy. Heavy equipment and moving parts are present in these areas.
• Involves exposure to hazardous materials and conditions.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit and operate computer keyboard and lab equipment for extended periods of time. Must possess
vision and digital manipulation skills sufficient to utilize computer keyboard and lab equipment. It requires ambulatory skills sufficient to regularly walk throughout the winery
and may include driving to other locations. Must also be able to stand, climb stairs and lift/carry/move equipment and supplies on a regular basis.
• The employee must be able to work extended work hours and overtime when required, particularly during harvest.
SEQUOIA GROVE WINERY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO A DIVERSE AND INCLUSIVE WORK ENVIRONMENT. (EOE M/V/F/D)