Originally homesteading in Lodi, CA in the 1850’s, the Phillips Family have roots that run deep. The Phillips brothers released their first commercial wine in 1984 under the Phillips Vineyards label after years of growing grapes for other wineries. Now, with iconic brands such as Freakshow, Petite Petit and Earthquake, Michael David Winery is a tour de force as one of the leading wineries in the United States and distributing our wines in 40+ countries around the world. The Phillips pride themselves on being family owned and operated, enforcing meticulous farming practices and ensuring sustainable wine grape growing techniques which result in superior quality in the bottle. Their hard work has paid off as the wines regularly take top awards and recognition nationwide.
Regional Sales Manager
Great Lakes Territory
We currently have an excellent Great Lakes Regional Sales Manager opportunity for an experienced, ambitious, motivated, and driven person who is willing to be part of an exciting team. You must possess a vision for growth, a passion for the wine industry, a keen understanding of our client’s needs, negotiation skills, and a polished presentation style. You also must communicate effectively with internal peers and bring positive energy to our team as well as be detailed oriented, well organized, smart, and resourceful.
Working directly for the Midwest Divisional Sales Manager, you will be responsible for leadership and account management in delivering volume and meeting company distribution goals, increasing profitability, and reinforcing the company’s needs and go to market strategies in line with distributor framework to gain share of mind and attention. Ensure the company’s strategic imperatives and local KPI’s are achieved.
The ideal candidate will reside in the Chicago, IL, area to allow broad coverage to the Illinois, Indiana and Michigan territories, with emphasis in Illinois. Travel is required throughout the assigned territory approximately 3 to 4 days per week with overnight travel, as well as occasional travel to other markets for meetings and market blitzes.
The qualified candidate will have a minimum of 4+ years of supplier and/or distributor experience (preferably in the wine industry) and proven account equity in the Great Lakes Region. Pricing and programming knowledge, negotiation skills, distributor management, presentation skills and a firm understanding of the wine market will be valued in assessing candidates.
Responsibilities will include:
• Selling to all channels in territory including local chains, restaurants, and independent retail. Working closely with distributor management in all facets, scheduling and conducting monthly planning meetings, market work (work withs), sales team training, GSMs, business reviews, distributor chargebacks, wine dinners and events throughout the assigned markets.
• Great Lakes regional goals, pricing, programming, monitoring monthly numbers and inventory to ensure the assigned territory is performing to goal. Communicate with winery management on daily activities, market observations and develop plans to capitalize on opportunities observed in the market.
• Manage inventory goals, distributor brand mix and rotation, special needs and sales programs.
• Training and motivating distributor personnel to sell Michael David Wines.
• Ensuring distributor personnel have all the necessary tools (sell sheets, POS, etc…) to make successful presentations.
• Collects, analyzes, reports, and communicates all pertinent sales, distribution, financial and personnel information from all distributors.
• Administer budgets, weekly recaps, monthly reporting, calendars, pricing reports, etc.
Qualifications will include proficiency in Tradepulse, Vistaar, Diver software; Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook and Office; ability to lift 40-50 lbs; valid driver’s license with proof of vehicle insurance and coverage’s; pass criminal background check and pre-employment drug screen; provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
To be considered, a cover letter and your resume must be submitted.