Lead laboratory team in conducting operational support during production process. Validate compliance to product specifications and adherence to GMP's through routine and advanced chemical analyses on wines, juices, concentrates, spirits, and other Company products. Maintain and troubleshoot laboratory equipment. Communicate with and provide feedback to production team members to facilitate process improvement.
* Act as a liaison between the lab and other departments to investigate, evaluate, mediate, and/or take action on any problems, questions and/or concerns.
* Utilizes statistical methods to analyze data. Interprets quality control results and conducts method validations.
* Make recommendations in planning and scheduling of lab activities for optimum efficiency and quality.
* Perform maintenance/troubleshooting on lab equipment.
* Order laboratory supplies and equipment.
* Develop, implements and updates lab standard operating procedures (SOPs). Monitor SOP compliance
* Trains new hires on quality assurance for product analyses and record keeping procedures.
* Mentors and provides direction, sets priorities for junior laboratory personnel
* Recommends and implements ongoing process improvements that use technology and analytical laboratory best practices to maximize productivity and efficiency
* Provide technician performance feedback to management
* Actively participate in all aspects of method development (equipment selection, defining utility requirements and room layout, installing and validating new equipment, documenting new Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
* Conduct or schedule preventative maintenance on all analytical equipment
* Ensure that all chemicals, containers with hazardous waste materials or spent materials are labeled according to Local, State and Federal environmental regulations.
* Monitors data entry and record-keeping for accuracy (both manual and computer-based).
* Ensure that lab workflow is efficient and analytical results make technical sense.
* Maintain, develop, facilitate and standardize equipment, processes and procedures.
* Keeps clear, concise and accessible records of all data for juices, wines, bottling samples, etc. Inputs wine/juice analysis data into Corporate System Database.
* Perform accurate routine and advanced chemical and physical analysis on wines, juices, concentrates and other company products.
* Prepare reagents and standard solutions.
* Assist the research and development department by providing support as needed.
* Perform special projects and other assignments relating to lab functions including bench trials, or work with spectrophotometer and microscope
* Calibrates all laboratory equipment
* Demonstrate proficiency in the use of analytical equipment in the lab, both hardware and software
* Ensures that required reports and records are prepared, maintained, and distributed
* Ensures that procedures are being followed according to established standard operating procedures (SOP's) for quality and the lab
* Ensures lab cleanliness and a safe, sanitary working environment.
* Promotes teamwork among the lab staff and all winery personnel.
* Responsible for compliance with CBI sustainability policies and practices which are economically viable, socially acceptable and environmentally sound. This is done by supporting programs at each location for conservation, energy efficiency, and recycling, which are critical for our operations to achieve tangible environmental results.
* Cross-trains on other lab duties
* Special projects and other responsibilities as assigned
* Bachelor of Science degree in food science or related field (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
* At least 5 years' laboratory experience
* Strong technical and analytical skills with existing analytical equipment and up-and-coming technologies
* Knowledge of analytical procedures and equipment
* Chemistry or Biology background
* Strong attention to detail
* Ability to follow verbal and written instructions/directions
* Ability to prioritize and multi-task
* Must be able to recognize and resolve discrepancies with little oversight
* Advanced writing and mathematical skills
* Proficient skill level in using computer applications (Excel, Work, Outlook)
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Strong communication skills
* Strong teamwork and organizational skills
* Able to work a flexible schedule with overtime as requested, including weekends and off shifts.
* Prior experience in method development, validation and documentation
* Understanding of microbiological analyses
* Master degree in a science related field
* Familiarity with AS400, JDE/SAP, Access, and Intelex Intellepac
* Knowledge of various wine types
* Previous winery experience
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
* The lab presents a unique environment that requires performing tasks of a repetitious nature, the ability to change job priorities and the need for speed, accuracy and precision to ensure the highest quality standards.
* Works outdoors/indoors.
* Works in warm/cold climates.
* Works in high places.
* Works on wet surfaces.
* Is exposed to loud noise, fumes and/or toxic chemicals.
* Works near moving, mechanical parts and lift truck traffic.
* Must be able to move up to 55lbs.
* Primary office environment may be warehouse/distribution setting.
* Must be at least 21 years of age.
* Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time and work on a computer for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Operations and Production
Constellation Brands is committed to a continuing program of equal employment opportunity. All persons have equal employment opportunities with Constellation Bran