PURPOSE OF JOB:
Responsible for assisting in the day to day management of the Company’s Mt. Veeder Estate Vineyard Programs by assisting and reporting to the Director of Vineyard Operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
• Keep informed of developments in viticulture and technology that allow for more effective management of the Estate Vineyard Program (e.g. cost savings and/or quality improvements).
• Assist with the Company’s pest disease prevention program, vineyard mapping and weather station reporting.
• Responsible for collection, analysis, and interpretation of viticulture data (i.e. phenology, vine health, stress, and pest/disease pressure)
• Assist with monitoring of individual block performance and highlight issues.
• Manage tasks such as harvest maturity sampling, soil testing, fertilizer application, tissue testing, yield estimates, long term block history, etc.
• Assist in maintaining vineyard experiments, gathering data, and recommending new ideas for trials.
• Assist in managing and coordinating the spray program. This may include using independent judgement in writing work orders, ensure adherence to spray intervals, scheduling equipment, purchasing materials, delivering materials, notifying neighbors and winemakers regarding reentry intervals.
• Prepare and promulgate Irrigation schedules on a weekly basis in coordination with the Director of Vineyard Operations.
• Direct and provide support to the vineyard management staff by ensuring they adhere to all regulatory record keeping requirements, and report their compliance to the Director of Vineyard Operations.
• Participate in continuing education programs and research within the industry to enhance expertise
• Manage daily needs related to data entry of labor hours worked by ranch/block/activity
• Monitor and report whether quality and productivity goals are being met for all cultural practices and report results to Director of Vineyard Operations.
• The ability to tour/host guests of the winery on estate vineyards.
• Other duties as appropriate.
• Responsible for keeping informed of developments in sustainability practices with regards viticulture and proposing appropriate practices with regards to the Estate Vineyard Program, ensuring that the Company is improving its sustainability credentials over time and that it is meeting its stated sustainability objectives in any given year.
• Manage completion of annual assessments required for maintaining certifications.
• Assist Director of Vineyard Operations to comply with applicable quality, environmental and safety regulatory considerations. Takes an active leadership role in the safety program including but not limited to scheduling safety meetings and documenting attendees.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: 0-3 plus years of viticulture experience and Bachelor of Science in related field. Must maintain a valid class C driver’s license.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Embodies the Hess Collection behaviors of Leading by Example, acting as a Team Player, Acting Profitably and Action Oriented
• Ability to collaborate with peers and managers.
• Ability to exercise independent judgment as required to perform duties and responsibilities.
• Spanish speaking a plus
• When encountering obstacles presents solutions along with the challenges
• Ability to adapt to new situations and be flexible
• Proactivity improves processes and systems
• Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Microsoft Outlook
• Strong prioritization, organization and multi-tasking skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Basic mathematical skills required
• Must have a valid CA drivers license and the ability to become insured on the company policy
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
• Required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear
• Frequently required to stand and walk
• Required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, or crouch
• Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 45 pounds
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
• Must have normal night vision and be able to navigate in the dark
• The position requires working outside in all weather conditions, exposure to extreme heat and cold in some cases
• Complete mobility (walking, bending, and stretching) in the vineyard on uneven terrain
• Office related tasks include sitting at a desk, using computer-based technology
• Extensive driving required between ranches