R. Stuart & Co. Winery Wine Bar/Tasting Room Manager
R. Stuart is a family-owned winery located in the heart of downtown McMinnville. We make wines in a range of price points from “everyday” to “reserve” always with an eye toward high-quality, the perfect balance of fruit and tannin and food-adaptability. We are a small team that works closely together to make, market and sell our 16,000 cases of annual production. We have one Estate Vineyard and the rest of our fruit is purchased from some of the finest growers in the Valley with whom we have long-standing, strong, working relationships. Our Winery is an anchor of the Granary District and our Wine Bar/Tasting Room was the first on the busy and historic 3rdStreet. If you are unfamiliar with our winery, we suggest you take some time to explore our website and social media channels to learn more about who we are..
We are strong supporters of the community in McMinnville and therefore we enjoy many customers and Club members who are local and visit us regularly. We are as likely to entertain regulars who are meeting a friend after work for a glass or two of wine as we are to host tourists who have come to the Willamette Valley to explore our world-class wines. Exceptional, gracious and unpretentious hospitality is one of the things for which we’re famous.
We are seeking a full-time Wine Bar/Tasting Room Manager with a strong background in hospitality and sales, significant wine knowledge (particularly of local wine) and management. This person will be a leader in sales and spirit to work with us to grow our existing DTC program.
Significant responsibilities include:
- Manage, lead and train our small-ish tasting room staff. Model excellent behavior in hospitality and sales for this team.
- Offer warm and gracious hospitality to all guests.
- Consistently and actively promote and sell wine club, wines, winery events, elevated tasting experiences
- Manage the inventory of the food for the limited menu we serve. Some food prep and table service is required
- Develop and grow sales goals for yourself and the sales team
- Work with the Direct Sales Manager to develop and promote incentives and programs for sales team
- Manage Tasting Room inventory of wines, food and all other items sold there
- Work with Direct Sales Manager to grow taster count
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Work closely and collaboratively with the team of other managers and with co-owners Rob and Maria Stuart to insure the continued growth and success of the winery. Also to learn and understand our story, winemaking style and values
- Able to multitask while pouring wine, telling the R Stuart story, serving food, and continuing to sell Club and create long-lasting relationships with guests. Able to stay calm under pressure
- Able to be on your feet for several hours
- Able to consistently lift 50 pounds
- Valid OLCC and Oregon Food Handlers Permits
Other qualities the ideal candidate will possess:
- relevant wine industry experience and preferably (though not required) a BA/BS degree
- a professional, well-kept appearance
- a good sense of humor and a kind nature
- a strong work ethic
- the ability to work at least one weekend day most weeks, some evenings
- restaurant and/or event experience
- a warm and welcoming personality and the ability to anticipate guests’ needs
- willingness to go the extra mile
- experience with Vin Now or other winery POS
- experience with Ving Direct
We offer competitive salary, benefits for full time employees (including health insurance), and the potential for significant incentive pay.
If you love fine wine sales, hospitality and the work environment of a small, strong and supportive family atmosphere, we look forward to hearing from you!