Pine Ridge has been dedicated to crafting Cabernet Sauvignon for over 40 years. Blending the restraint and tradition of Bordeaux with the vibrancy of California results in Cabernet Sauvignon–based wines that truly express their origin. Located in the Stags Leap District of Napa Valley, Pine Ridge Vineyards is comprised of 11 estate vineyards in Napa's best appellations. We focus on Cabernet Sauvignon from Stags Leap District, Howell Mountain, Oakville, Rutherford, and a Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
The Cellar Worker III position contributes to the overall wine production team at Pine Ridge. Under limited supervision, the Cellar Worker III will perform all cellar operations from tank sanitation, barrel cleaning, pump overs, grape processing, circulations and the other tasks that are performed in the cellar. This position is the most skilled in the cellar and is responsible for training all cellar workers including harvest staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other reasons.
• Perform sanitation of all areas of cellar operations; sterilizes casks, wine tanks, wine hoses, barrels, presses, grape processing equipment and any other equipment necessary to maintain the integrity of the must and wine.
• Assist with the receiving and processing of grapes, grape crushing and must tank set up.
• During harvest will perform must circulations, pumpovers and rack and returns and must removal from tanks.
• Set up a clean racking of wine from one tank to another, and wine equipment set up for moving wine from tank to the barrels inside the wine caves.
• Stage wine barrels on the racks inside the cave and preparing the barrel identification cards.
• Perform racking from barrels and set up the wine tanks within the wine caves and help to clean and maintain the wine barrels.
• Set up and execute the technique of filling the wine barrels, topping of the wine barrels and making addition to the wine barrels.
• Perform additions to the wine tanks and mixing of tanks.
• Assist with training the Cellar Workers on all cellar operations and mentor them throughout the year with the various wine tasks. During harvest will help train the Harvest Cellar Workers on all aspects of the cellar.
• Read and perform cellar tasks as directed in the cellar work order and provide feedback via the work order.
• Responsible for running the cross flow filter and prepare the wine for bottling using the QC protocol.
• Perform each of the functions on the bottling line and know how to use the forklift to move the cases to and from the bottling line.
• Assist with bottling line inventory of the bottling supplies and assist the Cellarmaster with preparing for upcoming bottling.
• Help to maintain general cleanliness and good sanitation in wine processing area.
• Operate all winery process machinery in an efficient and safe manner.
• Operate electric pallet jack to move supplies and barrels through the winery and caves.
• Operate forklift to move equipment and chemicals/fining agents as needed.
• Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
• Years of Experience: 6 or more years previous cellar experience
• Must be able to accurately carry out written and verbal instructions.
• Must be able to read and understand English.
• Must be responsible and work well with others.
• Must be able to perform the functions of the position as described in a normal winery environment and work with sulfur dioxide, ammonia based sanitizers, and mild organic acids will be present in the workplace.
• Must be able to walk, stoop and bend repeatedly
• Must be able to perform regular strenuous physical work.
• Must be able to work on ladders and catwalks at heights up to 35 feet.
• Ability to operate all required equipment: pallet jack, hand jack, drive forklift, filters, pumps and barrel washers.
• Must be able to repetitively lift and carry up to 50 pounds. Objects could be a case of wine or a wine barrel.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule including long hours, overtime and various shifts during harvest.
• Must be able to submit to a post-offer physical and drug test and successfully pass all areas.