HSE (HEALTH, SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL) MANAGER
The HSE Manager is responsible for the planning, implementation and managing of all HSE (Health, Safety and Environmental) programs and policies for the company.
This role ensures that all plans, policies and procedures are current, working closely with all departments to create and maintain HSE standards, engage employees, manage risks and eliminate hazards, and to reduce the frequency and severity of industrial accidents.
REPORTS TO: COO (Chief Operating Officer); CXO (Chief Experience Officer)
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time, Exempt
COMPENSATION: DOE, with comprehensive benefits included.
• Manage and supervise HSE personnel (HSE Specialists) to help support and enforce HSE standards; also oversees payroll, staffing, appraisals/performance, corrective
action, etcetera, of said staff;
• Monitor injury, illness and incident-related performance;
• Conduct routine audits and risk assessments to measure compliance with standards and to assist in the creation/revision of strategies to ensure behavioral and
• Create standards and meet and follow metrics re. down/lost time, incident reporting, injury rates (and severity), near misses, system proficiency, emergency planning and
response times, equipment management, chemical, waste and environmental management, work permitting, ergonomic safety, training of personnel, and adherence to
company and other labor standards;
• Continuous evaluation and assessment of safe operation across key departments (production line, cellar, restaurant, warehouse, etc.), determining risk factors and
• Present reports to C-suite and Board of Directors on safety compliance and accident/incidents;
• Work closely with HR to create standard (and ongoing) safety trainings for both new hires and existing staff;
• Work closely with Workers’ Compensation carrier and outside safety consultants;
• Serve as chair of our Risk Management Committee, create agendas and lead meetings;
• Serve as subject-matter expert on HSE-related queries, including system design and standard enforcement;
• Provide analytics and partner to control costs and losses due to inefficient or unsafe operations;
• Remain up-to-date on latest safety trends, legal requirements and industry standards;
• Control costs conveyors, production machinery, storage area up and running
• May directs or supervise subcontractors, engineers and/or vendors related to HSE projects;
• Make recommendations to upper management when contracted work or consultancy is needed;
• Manage and maintain proper inventory of PPE and other safety equipment; ensure staff compliance with wearing proper PPE;
• Travel between worksites to audit and assess HSE standards and compliance;
• Attend seminars or meetings (including production meetings, etc.) in support of HSE management;
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in HSE in a winery environment (or minimum of 5 years in another manufacturing environment);
• At least one year of supervisory experience (more preferred);
• Must be able to demonstrate progress and deliver quantifiable and qualitative results on deadline;
• Certifications/licenses greatly preferred (OHST, CSP, CIH, CHMM, etc.);
• Good understanding of winery machinery and controls;
• Ability to routinely prioritize, analyze, organize and meet deadlines;
• Must be able to direct work of subordinate staff and collaborate with front-line managers and staff in a timely and efficient manner;
• Must promote a healthy, safe, inclusive environment, serve as point person for all HSE questions, and coach/direct management to meet and maintain standards;
• Ability to communicate effectively (verbally and written) with a diverse group of people, and to report out information succinctly and effectively to senior management
• Must be able to work independently/without direct supervision;
• Ability to respond effectively to sensitive issues;
• Experience with management of WC and industrial accidents; up-to-date knowledge of HSE standards and changes in HSE legislation and regulations;
• Ability to work in MS Office (Excel, Word and Outlook)
• Must be able to speak, read and write English; Spanish speaking a big plus.
• Must be able to follow, observe and enforce all safety rules and regulations;
• Ability to sit, stand, walk, climb stairs and ladders, bend, lift, twist, kneel, crouch, crawl, pull, push, carry, grasp, reach and stoop as needed, all for extended periods.
• Must be able to work overtime or longer hours as workflow dictates
• Ability to occasionally lift and carry heavy items, up to 45 lbs.
• Clean DMV record (ability to be covered under company insurance)
• Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays, swing or graveyard shifts and extended hours as business dictates
• Will work with and near moving parts and heavy machinery
• Work environment can range from hot, damp, dry and cold, depending on the time of year
• Noise level is quiet (office) moderate to loud (bottling)
• Proper safety equipment and PPE required