POSITION SUMMARY: Full Time Tasting Room Associate
Freemark Abbey is searching for a dynamic individual who wants to lead the charge at our historic winery on a Full-Time basis. This position offers multiple opportunities to grow our business while maximizing our relationships with our Member base.
Under the direction of the Estate Manager, the Tasting Room Associate is responsible for efficiently and effectively promoting the sale of wine and non-wine products through world-class customer service. Freemark Abbey offers diverse tasting experiences to enhance the overall sensory evaluation of wine while focusing on maximizing our strength in wine education. All efforts are focused on attaining monthly sales goals while providing Best in Class hospitality to consumers and trade.
• Ensure each guest experience is delivered with an emphasis on hospitality and education - tailoring approach and dialog to match guest's knowledge level and expectation to reach maximum sales per visitor
• Greets all visitors to the Tasting Room, discusses wine tasting options and responds to customer questions as appropriate.
• Works on Tasting Room floor as well as hosting private luxury tastings; serves as a Tasting Room host, pouring wines and assisting in all aspects of consumer tours, tastings and hospitality.
• Manages phone calls, daily reservations and schedules guest tastings accordingly. Strong emphasis on outreach and collaborating with partners in the Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley to maximize traffic.
• Ensures that every visitor enjoys their wine tasting experience and leaves with a very high impression of our wines and brand.
• Is knowledgeable about wines, accurately describes wines, winemaking techniques, winery history, appellations, and unique aspects of wines.
• Effectively promotes and sells wine and wine club memberships to customers.
• Handle routine purchasing transactions, including operating cash register, accounting of daily sales, and processing returns and discounts.
• Takes the initiative for self-development in the areas of our wines, our brands, general hospitality, and for acquiring effective sales techniques and acumen.
• Participates in company-sponsored wine educational and development opportunities.
• Maintains knowledge of current and new legal issues pertaining to inter-state shipping of wine to consumers and how they impact day-to-day wine shipments.
• Working with shipping department, facilitates shipping of wine to customers and meets all compliance and regulatory requirements of wine shipments.
• Participates and assists with special hospitality events that occur at the winery.
• Washes and polishes glassware for Tasting Room.
• Assists with display and pricing of retail items and wines as needed.
• Represents winery at outside functions as required.
• Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education:
• JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Shows commitment to excellence and high standards in work product.
• Consistently demonstrates outstanding customer service skills and poise and tact in working with the public.
• Proven ability to effectively and appropriately communicate with diverse client groups.
• Possesses professional appearance and demeanor.
• Is flexible, can manage constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
• Fluent in English
• Demonstrates ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, and percentages.
• Strong computer proficiency and data entry experience, basic to intermediate knowledge of Word and Excel preferred.
• Has high school diploma or GED; two to four year college degree preferred.
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• Must be able to work weekends and flexible schedules.
• Ability to lift and move 50 pounds repeatedly.
• Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
• Ability to effectively stock wine, set-up and break down procedures, equipment, etc., and be able to utilize dolly cart and assist in moving heavy objects.
• Ability to understand and accurately follow written and verbal instructions.
Full Time Tasting Room Associate position combines Hourly and Variable compensation which includes compensation for delivering on and achieving tasting room sales goals and wine club goals. Our compensation model offers ample opportunity to maximize earnings.