Farmstead Cheeses and Wines is an independent, award-winning wine and cheese shop. We have two locations - Oakland and Alameda - and feature some pretty amazing wines in our shops. Our wine set is mostly international (about 30% domestic), and we feature wines from all over, in most styles, and across all price points.
This position also includes non-wine sales duties, like cheese cleaning, care and sales, opening and/or closing the store, stocking shelves, and other duties.
* At least one year of experience in wine or wine-focused hospitality.
* Knowledge of and passion for fine wines and wine making.
* An enthusiastic passion for great food and wine, and the cultures that produce them, etc.
* Strong communications skills (we're looking for the ability to communicate clearly and simply about wine and cheese).
* A sense of personal responsibility that includes punctuality and a healthy, old-fashioned work ethic.
* Ability to follow directions.
* Proven sales and customer service competence.
* Ability to lift 40-65 pounds several times during the day. Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
* Windows computer savvy, with working knowledge of programs such as Outlook, Excel, Word, Google Docs, etc.
* A flexible schedule -- weekends, evenings, opening and/or closing shifts. Weekend work and closing shifts are mandatory.
* Verifiable references.
* Deep knowledge of the wines and wine regions of the world.
* Appreciation of organic, biodynamic and natural wine production methods. (While we aren't a 'natural' wine shop per se, a significant percentage of the wines we carry are from organically grown grapes, follow biodynamic farming methods, or are made with minimal intervention).
*Must be at least 21 years of age
We offer a collegial and fun work environment, a SIMPLE IRA plan, health care, PTO, and very generous staff discounts.
Along with your resumé, send us an email. Please no phone calls or unscheduled drop-ins!