McCollister Estate Vineyard
Full Time -- Estate/Vineyard Manager & Assistant Winemaker Position
McCollister Estate Vineyard is a new, small vineyard located on a 40-acre Estate, dedicated to being the premier wine grape grower in the Southern New Jersey area.
Our vineyard manager/estate manager will be responsible for all viticulture operations with the assistance of a vineyard consultant. Additionally, he/she will assist in winemaking from grapes reserved for the private estate wine. This consists of approximately 2 barrels per year, made on site. Candidate must also help with Estate landscaping and grounds.
Candidate will have access to top Napa wine makers as well as an industry leading East Coast wine consultant and vineyard consultant. Highly competitive salary starting at $50,000 per year or more depending on experience. EEOC
- Willingness to be hands-on in all functions required to operate the vineyard, winery and estate grounds.
- A strong and proven work ethic.
- Knowledge of vineyard/farm management practices and procedures.
- Demonstrated leadership, decision-making skills, organizational skills, and the ability to multitask.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must have and maintain a valid Driver’s License with a clean DMV history.
- Must have a NJ State Spray Certification or be able to complete one.
- Must be able to lift and/or move over 50 pounds.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Direct and oversee vineyard operation and management .
- Provide and acquire proper tools and equipment for all jobs, ensuring they are in proper working order and employees are trained in their use.
- Participate in the recruiting and hiring of contract labor.
- Manage and document all pest, fungicide, and herbicide programs.
- Detect and evaluate vineyard problems and make recommendations that provide effective, timely, and economic solutions and that deliver quality fruit for estate wines and contracted grape sales and improve vineyard and fruit quality.
- Work flexible and extended hours as required to complete assigned responsibilities, particularly during harvest and peak periods.
- Undertake special projects and other duties as assigned by owners.
- Help develop and implement winery SOPs and protocols
-Assist with all aspects of winemaking as directed by owner and consultant
- Carry out general winery operations during non-harvest times (topping, racking, filtration, bottling prep and winery sanitation, etc.)
- Maintain winery equipment and perform regular repairs and maintenance
- Other duties as needed by winemaker consultant & vineyard consultant
- Oversee all grounds and manage third party vendors and contractors
- Light landscaping and pruning of non-vineyard horticulture
- General grounds upkeep
- Other duties as directed by owners
- Direct experience in vineyard management and/or development.
- Degree in Viticulture or related field and/or equivalent, relevant experience is required.
- Knowledge of wines and wine production
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work in an evolving environment with enthusiasm
- Share company values of: integrity, respect, value creation, compliance, focus
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be able to bend, squat, climb, push, stoop and crouch repeatedly
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods as required by job duties
- Must be able to lift to 50 lbs. on a regular basis
- Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
Interested individuals should send a cover letter, resume, and three references.