Position Summary: Plan, select and purchase goods and merchandise that are sold in Oakville Grocery retail stores. The Buyer will source new and review existing goods to ensure products remain competitive. This role will serve as a liaison with existing suppliers, negotiate contracts, as well as source and build relations with new suppliers. In addition, the Buyer will source and select new products by catalog, attending national and international trade fairs and events, monitoring market changes, competitor prices and products, and analyzing past sales patterns to anticipate trends in consumer buying pattern. Key responsibilities will include recommending clearance/sales and varying delivery schedules to help control stock levels, presenting new ranges to store managers, assisting visual merchandisers in planning store layouts to promote key lines. Integral to this role is the collaboration with internal marketing department to develop strategic plan for presenting/communicating sales promotions.
• Comply with all company safety policies, practices, and procedures. Participate in safety training and report all unsafe conditions or work practices.
• Participate in team efforts and perform additional duties as needed.
• Timely Recording Keeping in Workforce Now - ADP
Language: Ability to speak and understand basic English required for all positions.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret reports, financial reports, legal documents, and policies and procedures. Ability to write detailed reports and compile supporting data. Ability to effectively present information to management, clients, outside consultants, and other business contacts, and to facilitate meetings or training sessions as needed.
• Ability calculate items such as discounts, commissions, simple interest, percentages, areas, circumference, and volume. Ability to understand fractions, ratios, and proportions. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to a variety of tasks and duties. Ability to adapt to minor changes in routine, solve basic problems, and work with moderate supervision.
• Possess advanced intermediate computer skills which can include e-mail, internet, word processing, spreadsheet, database activity, graphic arts and/or publishing, intranet systems, and basic programming.
Education, Experience, Certificates, Licenses:
• Bachelor’s Degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a 4-year college or university; or 3-5 years of related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Current, valid Driver’s License, insurable driving record, and proof of current automobile insurance required.
• Heavy physical activity performing regular strenuous activities, including standing, walking, climbing, reaching, carrying, pushing, pulling, squatting, and other motions. Stability and balance adequate for elevated and/or narrow work areas. Requires lifting and moving objects up to 50 lbs. in weight independently, and up to 100 lbs. or more with assistance. Manual dexterity sufficient to reach, grasp, hold, handle items, and work with the fingers, wrists, elbows, and shoulders. Clear vision (close and distant), peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to focus. Hearing adequate for working safety around machinery, vehicles, and other equipment.
• Primarily in a well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor setting with adequate ventilation. Periods required in an un-heated indoor setting (wine cellar) with changing conditions. Short periods outdoors while conducting tours or moving between buildings. Moderate noise levels typical of public space: music sound system, public conversations, telephones/cell phones, large groups.
Schedule and Travel Requirements
• Variable schedule: primarily a set schedule but may require weekends, periodic evenings, and/or periodic or seasonal overtime.
Proud to be honored by the North Bay Business Journal's Best Places to Work 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Equal opportunity employer: all qualified applicants will be considered.
Competitive compensation wage and full benefits offered.