Job Summary: The Transportation Manager is responsible for coordinating and supervising all functions relating to movement of outbound freight, maintaining prescribed service levels while keeping costs at a minimum, and training and supervising those in the Transportation Department to ensure meeting departmental and corporate objectives.
• Ensures a safe work environment for the team.
• Provides strategic and tactical leadership, direction and overall management of the transportation function.
• Ensures the successful implementation of new strategies and initiatives to effectively meet or exceed requirements and customer expectations.
• Responsible for exceeding departmental operations metrics.
• Directs the daily operation of the multi-state transportation network to ensure efficient and effective practices are utilized, productivity is optimized, and positive employee relations are maintained.
• Works in close cooperation with peers and across multiple functions such as Distribution, Logistics, and Sales, to maximize efficiencies within the organization.
• Develops staff and supervisory personnel in accordance with the organization's policies and all DOT compliance laws.
• Develop and apply an intimate knowledge of the Human Resources Handbook and Policies.
• Develop and maintain a productive staff by creating programs for hiring, training, and professional development.
• Apply sound communication and motivational techniques for supervising, coaching, and disciplining personnel.
• Regularly review team and individual performance expectations, performance planning, and feedback, with regularly scheduled training and development discussions.
• Ability to trains staff on and follows all safety policies and procedures; actively makes improvements to processes, ensuring the highest level of safety; records/reports all accidents in accordance with company policy.
• Ability to train staff on all safety procedures and make appropriate improvements to processes ensuring the highest level of safety.
• Follows all safety policies and procedures; communicates hazards and/or suggests improvements to manager.
• Performs other duties as assigned. Equipment/Machinery Used: Telephone, fax machine, copier, computer, calculator, scanner
Working Conditions: Warehouse environment, overtime as needed.
• BS/BA degree or equivalent of education and experience.
• Minimum five (5) years in transportation management.
• Strong computer skills
• Ability to plan and organize
• Meets agreed upon goals and objectives in a timely manner.
• Strong communication skills
• Valid Driver's License.