Flanagan Vineyards is currently looking for an assistant winemaker for a 6 month contract to run from Mid/ end June through the end of 2019. Ideal candidate will have at least 4-5 years experience in wine production with some previous experience as either a assistant winemaker, harvest assistant winemaker or cellar Master. Some formal education in Enology/ Viticuture or related field preferred. The ideal candidate will have a positive can do attitude, be highly motivated team player, as well as a quick and creative thinker.
POSITION TITLE: Assistant Winemaker (6 month Contract)
REPORTS TO: Director of Winemaking, Consulting winemaker, GM
The Assistant Winemaker is responsible for overseeing winery operations and working in conjunction with the Cellar Master execute production department’s directives. Expectations are to process roughly 40 tons White / Rose grapes and 60 + tons of Red grapes in the 2019 Vintage season.
TIME FRAME: Mid to End June through December 2019 with possible extension.
• Oversee daily, monthly, and final analysis of wines
• Maintain productions books.
• Create, Execute and enter in books, and file work orders.
• Coordinate with custom crush clients, both during and after harvest regarding processing, scheduling, bottling etc.
• Maintain clean an organized cellar and winery.
• Order and organize cellar chemicals and keep lot codes, as required by FDA regulations.
• Run in house laboratory analysis and bench trials as needed.
• Get wine amendments/additions approved as are needed
• Cultivate new winemaking ideas and techniques
• Evaluate wine quality
• Ensure winemaking protocols are adhered to.
• Create new protocols as needed
• Organize and execute bottling runs for Flanagan and associated brands, as well as custom crush clients.
• Oversee harvest, personnel
• Oversee fulltime production and harvest crews
• Mentor harvest interns and provide learning opportunities for them.
• Maybe required to assist with quarterly inventory and government reporting
• Organize collection and accuracy of vineyard data
• Communicate and organize bin delivery and pickup
• Weigh tag creation and filing
• Schedule vineyard sampling and analysis
• Give regular feedback to production staff, keeping them up to date on cellar protocols. Emphasizing positive criticism and help them minimize poor practices.
• Manage weekly production schedules
• Involve production crew in vineyard operations whenever possible
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
• Ability to lift up to 40 lbs
• Walk, kneel, bend, and stand.