For forty years, Sequoia Grove Winery has been obsessed with the details that go into crafting our Napa Valley wines and single-vineyard Cabernet Sauvignons. Our commitment to quality starts in the vineyard; we grow the very best grapes in the finest terroir to form the foundation of our wines. Quality is intrinsic to everything we do, from winemaking to our gracious hospitality; it’s engrained in our culture and the vanguard of our philosophy. The next step in our compelling evolution bagan in 2018 with the introduction of our new state-of-the-art winemaking and hospitality facilities. At Sequoia Grove, we’ve been carving our own path for decades while never losing sight of who we are; rooted in history, guided by integrity, resolute in our values, and committed to the future.
Under minimal supervision, the Staff Accountant position applies principles of accounting to analyze financial information and prepares financial reports by compiling information, preparing account reconciliations, and utilizing appropriate accounting control procedures. This position also performs the accounts payable and accounts receivable functions as well as some inventory duties.
• Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare entries to general ledger accounts, including pre-productive vineyards, and documents business transactions.
• Reviews and analyzes all general ledger accounts for accuracy.
• Resolves accounting discrepancies.
• Responsible for monthly reconciliation of petty cash and designated balance sheet accounts
• Reviews Tasting Room and Wine Club sales for timeliness and accuracy.
• Preparation of bank reconciliations including resolving discrepancies.
• Preparation of bank deposits.
• Cash management for Payroll and Accounts Payable expenses; reviews with Controller.
• Active role in month-end, quarter-end and year-end closing procedures, worksheets and reports.
• Provides assistance with financial reporting and budget set up, as well as ad hoc studies and analysis.
• Involvement in external audits, including preparing audit schedules.
• Preparation of California sales and use tax returns including associated sales and out of state account reconciliations.
• Reconciles the 702s and prepares Federal and State Excise Tax forms
• Interaction with all departments regarding coding of expenses and other financial management needs.
• Special projects and other responsibilities as assigned.
• Maintain accounts payable files and records.
• Process all invoices for payment, print and mail checks.
• Respond to vendor and employee inquiries regarding invoices, expenses, and check requests; reconcile any discrepancies.
• Process expense account reimbursement. Record credit card expenses in the GL and ensure that statements reconcile with receipts.
• Preparation of I 099's.
• Record credit card expenses in the GL and ensure that statements reconcile with receipts.
Cased Goods Inventory
• Take physical inventory of wine cased goods.
• Prepare inventory reconciliations.
• Prepare wine cased goods monthly costing report and record journal entries.
• Manage Grape contract schedules and reconciles actual tons and dollars by grower to contracted amounts and budgeted amounts.
• Prepare accounts receivable invoices; reconcile customer accounts
• Makes collection calls if needed
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field and 5 years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Knowledge of finance, accounting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
• Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections.
• Proficient use of Excel, Word and Navision or similar accounting software.
• Ability to work independently under minimal supervision and maintain high standards of accuracy with strong attention to detail.
• Ability to work well as part of a team.
• Good communication skills.
• Wine industry experience preferred.
• Highly organized, accurate, detail and multi-task oriented.
• Ability to complete tasks in an accurate manner within established time constraints.
• Good judgment, versatility, flexibility, and enthusiasm.
• Ability to work with constantly changing priorities
• Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to 45 lbs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit, operate a computer keyboard, calculator, telephone and other office equipment, read, talk and hear for extended periods of time. Must possess vision, hearing and sufficient digital manipulation skills to utilize a computer keyboard and other office equipment. The employee must be able to occasionally lift and carry up to 45 lbs. Overtime is required at certain times of the year, particularly at year-end and during other critical financial periods.
SEQUOIA GROVE WINERY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO A DIVERSE AND INCLUSIVE WORK ENVIRONMENT. (EOE M/V/F/D)