Performs, oversees and manages analysis and data reported by the laboratory and quality control. Coordinates with winemaking, cellar and production to ensure quality in all wines. Manages Laboratory and Quality Control department. An Integral team member for the continuous improvement of wine quality and operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Planning, organizing and prioritizing work schedules in consultation with the Winemaking team
• Trains new employees on lab techniques and sampling
• Responsible for the review and accuracy of all lab analysis and data entry
• Schedules re-checks as required to confirm results. Reviews trends with Winemakers and monitors process variables
• Facilitates blending, stability, fining, and filter-ability tests as necessary
• Hires Laboratory technicians, QC technicians and Harvest Interns
• Supervises and ensures proper performances from assigned staff
• Manages QC Manager to ensure quality control processes are followed
• Works with QC Manager to audit and improve quality control processes in production
• Performs special projects as requested
• Responsible for the maintenance, troubleshooting, and training for Laboratory equipment
• Responsible for ordering and maintaining inventory of lab supplies, as well as comparison costs of those supplies
• Responsible for scheduling tastings per Winemakers direction
• Maintain a high level of communication with department managers to ensure efficient and effective wine management
• A member of the wine tasting team
• Responsible for understanding and training all safety procedures, including hazardous materials handling, storage and disposal
• Audit, revise and create Lab/QC SOP’s
• R&D of new product lines
• Reports lab results to custom crush clients and inter-company departments
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college and 3-5 years in Laboratory management or related experience at a winery
• Proficient in performing all analytical tests in the laboratory and able to troubleshoot procedural and equipment issues.
• Expertise and experience creating policy and procedure manuals related to health and safety and general laboratory protocols required.
• Must be team-oriented and self-motivated
• Must have excellent problem-solving skills analyzing issues with positive results.
• Able to prioritize workload and efficiently handle deadlines with focused attention to detail
• Must be able to able to lift 50 lbs
• Must be eligible to work in the US
Rack & Riddle is an EOE and a drug free workplace.