Family owned and operated for 39 years, Rombauer Vineyards seeks a dedicated and passionate winemaking professional to join our Sierra Foothills, Amador County team as the Associate Winemaker for our red winemaking facility.
Under the direction of the Director of Viticulture and Winemaking or Winemaker, the Associate Winemaker will coordinate all winemaking activities at our new location.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Winemaking: Schedules and coordinates all grape deliveries, and all other harvest related activities at Rombauer Sierra Foothills. Responsible for maintaining quality of bulk inventory. Assists with the following- blends, development of house styles, and unique blends for retail sales. Responsible for tasting of wine lots for quality and assuring fault free wine. Responsible for all wine quality issues at Sierra Foothills facility. Responsible for Barrel programs and wine trial tracking. Orders supplies for wine additions as needed or directed. Assists in vineyard monitoring and grape maturity sampling during growing season as time permits.
- Lab and Cellar Oversight: Directs duties and responsibilities and work flow order in the cellar. Oversees all winemaking processes. Schedules the duties and responsibilities of the cellar workers. Assigns work orders. Assists with the daily operation of the cellar and lab in order to meet production requirements/schedules. Assists lab personnel and ensures all wine records are current and accurate. Works with the Production Manager for the scheduling of personnel, including their hiring, training, discipline, safety, and aids with employee reviews.
- Recordkeeping: Completes monthly bulk wine and barrel inventory reports in Winemaker Database. Assist in environmental reporting to the State of California. Assist in Completion of annual harvest crush reports. Assists in the development of procedural and quality control manuals.
- Administrative: Conducts educational tours and tastings. Directly supervises daily work of lab staff and Cellar Master and the Office Administrator. Writes performance and development reviews and makes salary recommendations. Develops and monitors a budget for production at the Sierra Foothills facility.
- Other: May involve travel to support Regional Sales Managers during the year, when time permits. Assist Marketing and DTC staff with scheduled customer events.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Enology or closely related science
- Three to five years of related wine industry experience
- Demonstrated ability with accuracy and attention to detail
- Demonstrated precision in working with described tools or systems
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated understanding of the product being produced
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Effective creativity and innovation skills
- Effective collaboration and team building skills
- Effectively works with Diverse Groups of People
Preferred Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Fluency in Spanish desired
This position requires the employee to regularly lift and/or move up to 40 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Any employment offer is conditional until successful completion and passing of a pre-employment physical examination, approval of your driving record by our insurance carrier, and drug screening paid for by Rombauer Vineyards.
Rombauer Vineyards offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package as well as a positive work environment where team members are devoted to the highest quality of customer satisfaction delivered with a sense of graciousness, pride, fun, and company spirit. Come join our friendly and knowledgeable staff and become a part of our family!