Oak Knoll Farming is seeking a viticultural technician to support vineyard operations in Sonoma and Napa. The person in this role should have an education or basic training in viticulture including optimal canopy management, vine nutrition, productivity and managing yields, and a strong desire to learn vineyard management. The person in this role will work in a wide variety of functions on a large number of properties.
The right candidate will have two years of experience, a strong curiosity in what drives premium grape production, an eye to detail, drive for excellence and an ability to be a strong performer both outdoors and indoors. Our hope is that the person in this role will be able to grow into an Assistant Vineyard Manager role within a two-year time frame.
- Oversee and conduct irrigation of ranches in Sonoma to achieve optimal vine growth.
- Make regular adjustments to watering schedule. Keep irrigation log for each ranch.
- Maintain irrigation systems (filters, drip tube, emitters, etc). Assist with basic irrigation system repairs.
- Conduct fertilizer injection applications.
- Assist with delivery of work orders and materials to operators and supervisors.
- Conduct regular scouting in Sonoma ranches for pest and diseases, work with Assistant Vineyard Manager and Supervisor on management plans.
- Create and manage vineyard documentation including vine counts, vineyard maps, county compliance forms, etc.
- Flag and map diseased areas in the vineyards.
- Conduct spot checks of field operators to ensure quality work is performed by mowers and spray operators. Assist with calibration of sprayers and equipment.
- Participate in field work with the crew when other job duties are completed, and/or perform independent field labor including weed eating, suckering, leafing, debris removal, etc.
- Conduct harvest prep activities
- Ensure safe and compliant vineyard practices conducted by self and team mates.
- Formal education and/or hands-on training in viticulture
- Must be comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Strong computer skills, written communication skills and competency working in Excel
- Must have basic understanding of irrigation systems and their maintenance
- Must have basic competency with small motorized tools including fertigation pumps, weed eaters, chainsaws and others
- Ability to operate an ATV or basic tractor skills highly desired
- Ability to repeatedly lift 60 to 80 pounds
- Basic abilities with the Spanish language essential; conversational competency preferred
- Class A or B license or willingness to pursue one a big plus
- Attention to detail and desire to learn