Duckhorn Wine Company has helped set the standard for American fine wine for four decades. Founded by Dan and Margaret Duckhorn with the launch of Duckhorn Vineyards in 1976, the Duckhorn luxury portfolio has evolved to include Decoy, Goldeneye, Paraduxx, Migration, Canvasback, Calera, and Kosta Browne. Each winery has its own dedicated winemaker and focused winegrowing program. The portfolio encompasses five distinctive visitor centers, six state-of-the-art winemaking facilities, 300+ enthusiastic employees, and 870 acres of acclaimed estate vineyards from California’s Central Coast to Washington State’s Columbia Valley. Limited quantities of all wines are available direct from the winery, throughout the United States, on five continents, and in over 50 countries. For more information, visit DuckhornWineCompany.com.
SUMMARY: Provide guidance and expertise to promote safety within the company and ensure that safety is a key value for the organization. Minimize the risk of job-related accidents. Promote occupational health and safety awareness. Travel will be required as needed for incident investigations & site assessments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Be a constant example of safety excellence, professionalism, and full compliance with site safety policies.
• Stay current and informed of changes in industry regulations and best practices.
• Answer questions from staff regarding safety issues in a professional and clear manner.
• Assist winery properties in the interpretation of, and compliance with, Cal/OSHA standards and guidelines.
• Keep detailed records of safety-related incidents and propose appropriate corrective actions.
• Plan, schedule, coordinate and conduct safety training for personnel. Ensure that records of all safety trainings are properly maintained and that employees receive safety trainings required by their job duties on an annual basis.
• Schedule and ensure the completion of annual hands-on fire extinguisher training and audiometric evaluations at each property.
• Oversee company respiratory protection program, ensuring that users are fully qualified, trained, and fit-tested at annual intervals.
• Serve as the primary point of contact for Duckhorn Portfolio safety consulting resources.
• Consolidate site safety calendars and communicate with site safety champions to ensure that trainings are well-attended.
• Oversee company first aid kit contents and ensure adequate restocking.
• With site safety champions, develop and verify written lockout-tagout procedures.
• Work with site safety champions to ensure that Duckhorn Portfolio safety program expectations are consistently met.
• Schedule and support annual emergency evacuation drills at each Duckhorn Portfolio property.
• Lead the company Safety Committee and ensure that action items discussed in the committee meetings are acted on in an appropriate time frame.
• Assist site safety champions with developing effective incentive programs that promote good safety behaviors.
• Assist with the investigation injury and near-miss incidents at the site level. Work with regional and departmental management to ensure that root causes are properly identified. Assist managers with the proper reporting of injuries and near-misses as requested. Respond to all lost-time and restricted duty injuries within 24 hours with preliminary findings of root cause and recommendations for corrective action.
• Recommend safety capital expenditures and perform cost-benefit analyses to justify such expenses.
• Conduct periodic safety inspections of Duckhorn Portfolio properties. Provide documentation and communication related to the results of such inspections to the Production Risk Manager.
• Communicate needed repairs of safety issues to regional Facilities Management teams and ensure timely completions. Work with Facilities Directors at each property to create an adequate preventative maintenance schedule for safety equipment.
• Review written safety programs for each site no less than annually. Review and revise site written safety programs as needed in response to changes in safety regulations or industry-accepted best practices.
• Review and update site emergency maps as needed.
• Establish effective Safety Data Sheet collection and retention policies within Duckhorn Portfolio.
• Ensure that outside contractors are aware of and in compliance with site contractor policies.
• All other related duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or GED from accredited institution.
• Valid driver’s license and successful completion of background check. Required to obtain a California driver’s license or appropriate state driver’s license within 30 days of hire.
• A keen eye for detail and a sensitivity for potential dangers.
• A commitment and dedication to a zero-injury environment.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Intermediate to advanced proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite.
• Comfort in motivating and educating others.
• Two to four years of wine industry or manufacturing industry experience.
• OSHA/10 or OSHA/30 certification
• Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health & Safety, or related field.
• Prior experience in a health and safety role.
• Bilingual in English and Spanish.
• Sit for prolonged periods.
• Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Some overtime may be required, particularly during harvest or after an incident or a hazardous situation has been reported.
• Travel to Duckhorn Portfolio winery sites in Northern and Central California will be occasionally required, occasionally on short notice.
Duckhorn Wine Company offers a highly competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits package. Please respond with resume and letter of introduction.