Maui Wine Ltd. is seeking an assistant winemaker to join our team. As the only fully integrated vineyard and winery in Hawaii, we are a unique and innovative producer that prides itself on making wines that express the island of Maui and the distinctiveness of our vineyard location and climate. Production includes estate wines, non-estate blends, wines made from locally grown pineapples, and a bottle fermented sparkling program, requiring year-round production.
This position would be hands on in all aspects of the daily operations and requires a motivated candidate who enjoys working in a unique, collaborative, team-based environment.
Bachelor of Science in Enology or Food Science
Three years’ work-related experience required, with some supervisory duties
Excellent proficiency in routine winery lab analysis is required
Strong understanding of fermentation chemistry, food safety and mathematical equations
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Able to perform and oversee all activities included in the operation of the winery and lab
• Assist management team with executing all winemaking operations to meet production target.
• Supervise, direct and participate in the production of all wines and insure that they meet established specifications.
• Monitor bulk and bottled inventory via periodic lab analysis and tastings
• Insure and direct the oversight of specific wine products as per their specifications
• Pursue improvement of wine quality, work on innovation and enhancing winemaking techniques.
• Monitor and analysis sparkling wine tirage and disgorging operations
• Support SOP’s, and Food Safety programs to ensure that products and facilities comply with regulations.
• Provides winemaking technical support and data to winemaking team and production staff
• Work directly with the winemaking staff, consultants and owners to develop, assure and establish brand quality parameters.
• Organize, prepare and participate in winemaking tastings, blending and trials
• Responsible for meeting winemaking styles
• Monitors and reports on the quality control of all (still and sparkling) winemaking processes including post bottling
• Oversees the fruit wine operations from crush to finish, including process, analysis and blending trials for consistency of end product.
• Oversees cellar work orders and processes for accuracy, completion and compliance
• Assists in maintaining sanitation standards, order and appearance of cellar
• Identifies areas where procedures can be improved and suggest courses of action
• Performs and supervises all lab procedures, results, standardize solutions and verify accuracy of procedures in lab regularly; establish new protocols when needed.
• Assists in vineyard work, analysis and harvest decisions
Skills and Job Requirements:
• Must have excellent written and oral communication skills with staff, owners and consultants
• Ability to train and develop staff
• Able to operate with efficiency specialized winemaking equipment (press, filters, pumps, etc.)
• Able to organize and adapt to changing situations
• Desire to be an ongoing learner
• Able to think both analytical and subjectively
• Enjoys working within a diverse team
• Knowledge of and involved in viticulture practices and decisions for best harvest and wine quality results.
• Has a positive attitude, sets a good example and has a pioneering spirit.
• Naturally detail orientated
• Excellent sensory evaluation skills
• Physically fit and able to perform all required duties
• Excellent knowledge of word, Excel spreadsheet and email applications and commitment to timely reporting
• In depth knowledge of federal/state wine production and safety regulations in order to ensure compliance.
Excellent Company Benefit Package including housing