Sanford Winery, located in the Sta. Rita Hills District of Santa Barbara County, is seeking a hands-on and collaborative candidate for the role of Tasting Room Manager. This position is one of the key brand ambassadors for the winery and conveys the importance and uniqueness of our winery to create advocates and build relationships. He/she is well spoken, polished, hard-working, and effectively works well with all staff members, visitors and partners.
The Tasting Room Manager will oversee the day-to-day operations of the Sanford Tasting Room, while working collaboratively with the winery management team to ensure delivery of a seamless customer experience as well as optimal management of the business. He/she will directly supervise the tasting room staff and oversee the overall retail room operations while carrying out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
• Achievement of retail goals, including sales, wine club sign-ups and data collection.
• Develop and execute comprehensive marketing plan.
• Achieve sales and profitability goals; plan properly and motivate staff to hit these goals. Report results accurately and on a timely basis.
• Deliver a customer experience that provides beyond-expectation customer service, tells our winery story, and creates winery fans.
• Effectively manage staff to deliver financial and guest service expectations.
• Work collaboratively and effectively with all Sanford Winery Team members
• Accurately manage and track inventory of wine and merchandise.
• Hire, train, schedule & supervise staff.
• Manage tasting room floor operations which include but are not limited to maintaining housekeeping standards, conducting opening and closing procedures including cash handling, and overseeing tasting menu and programs.
• Plan, execute, and achieve retail sales forecasts through tasting room activities and events open to club members and the public.
• Control business activities to assure that sales and expenses meet budgetary goals, track revenue and spending.
• Generate and execute ideas to build tasting room traffic. Track and measure success of programs and campaigns.
• In conjunction with the management team, develop compelling visitor programs.
• Conduct tasting programs, VIP experiences & events.
• Maintain daily, weekly and monthly sales tracking spreadsheets.
• Oversee all aspects of merchandise inventory. Work with Winery Tasting Room Manager to coordinate items and orders.
• Submit all reports to accounting and senior management as required.
• Share learnings and ensure strong communication and collaboration with the winery team.
• Assist with month-end closing tasks for accounting.
• Carry out all responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies as well as applicable laws.
Personal Skills and Competencies
• Customer focused with excellent service and sales skills.
• Very positive, upbeat attitude.
• Ability to assume leadership role and make decisions.
• Results and goal oriented.
• Exceptional people and sales skills. Strong rapport-building with both customers and the community.
• Excellent management skills -- ability to constructively manage others.
• Ability to organize and prioritize work.
• Willingness to embrace and manage change. Flexible.
• Ability to develop and execute new plans and programs.
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Ability to accurately forecast and plan via sound business analysis.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred, with an emphasis on business.
• 3-5 years supervisory experience, ideally wine retail related.
• PC skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
• Command of social media and the direct marketing arena.
• Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles.