2 Lads is a family-owned winery located on Old Mission Peninsula in Traverse City, Michigan. Founded in 2006, we are consistently recognized as one of the top wineries in the state. We produce 6,000-8,000 cases annually, creating a portfolio of traditional method sparkling, white, and red wines from a selection of the best vineyards within the unique Old Mission Peninsula appellation.
A crucial member and leader of the 2 Lads team, our ideal candidate will display the passion, drive, and talent required to create world class wines in a cool climate area. He or she will be provided every opportunity to exercise their craft at the highest level in a modern winemaking environment. As a direct contributor (along with the winery owners) to the production strategy, this person must demonstrate trustworthiness, individual responsibility, and foster a sense of partnership in the process at all times. It’s a career-defining opportunity for a winemaker to establish themselves as a leader in a burgeoning winemaking region that will only continue to grow in importance and international recognition.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Craft world-class still and sparkling wines from an array of varieties including Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Riesling, Pinot Gris, and Chardonnay.
• Establish and strengthen relationships with growers and source grapes to meet the program’s needs.
• Direct harvest timing and picking decisions.
• Coordinate with vineyard management team to achieve optimal results in vineyard and fruit quality.
• Budget for harvest equipment, lab equipment, barrels and cellar/lab chemicals.
• Source packaging materials for bottling.
• Develop and maintain standard operating procedures for all cellar work.
• Supervise small cellar crew during harvest and bottling season.
• Hire and train cellar staff as needed.
• Perform cellar and lab work.
• Keep and maintain harvest and cellar operation records to ensure all cellar activities and wine labels meet TTB regulations.
• Work closely with Operations Manager to create excise tax returns and operations reports to the IRS and TTB.
• Educate tasting room staff on sensory evaluation and basic winemaking concepts.
• Represent the winery at public and trade wine tasting events.
Education, experience, and qualities:
• Degree in Enology, Fermentation Science, or related field
• 5+ years of experience leading a winemaking program
• Experience working with cool climate varieties is a plus
• Leadership, team work, and excellent communication skills
• Excellent sensory evaluation and analytical abilities
• Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
• Experience selling wine in the marketplace and working with distributors is a plus
• Respectful, driven, hardworking, humble, and honest
• Able to move and or lift up to 45 pounds
• Able to operate a forklift, tractor, and other farm/warehouse equipment
• Able to work long hours under physically demanding situations
Please respond with resume and cover letter. Competitive salary along with excellent medical and dental benefits offered. If needed, travel stipend, assistance with moving, and initial lodging (private home) available as well.