Cellar Assistant is involved in all areas of wine production from harvest through bottling, with a particular focus on barrel work.
Job duties are as follows but not limited to:
• Barrel work: Stirring and topping, filling and emptying, additions, organization of barrels and barrel maintenance.
• General cellar work: Sanitation (tanks, lines, pumps and cellar equipment), sampling, wine transfers
• Bottling: Work with team putting blends together, preparation and set up for bottling, ensuring quality treatment of wine during the bottling process
• Harvest: Grape receiving, set-up, organization and flow on the crush pad, press operation, pump-overs, punch downs, racking and barreling down. Training and supervision of harvest interns.
• Record keeping: Record data from work orders including wine movements, tank measurement on work orders.
• Keen attention to detail
• Committed to the pursuit of excellence
• Optimistic with a positive outlook and ability to be a team player
• Organized; able to prioritize and complete tasks and projects
• Problem solver; interested in solving problems when they arise
• Curious about wine and passionate about learning
• Strong work ethic and reliable
• Experience in all phases of cellar work (including lab) is desired
• Filtration experience is a plus
• Forklift experience is a plus
• Must be able to communicate in English (spoken and written)
• Flexibility and willingness to work in changing environment and work extended shifts; including night shifts during harvest
• Ability to read and follow work and safety based SOPs
• Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds on a repetitive basis and work standing up on concrete surfaces for extended periods of time; be able to climb a ladder
• Must have a valid California driver’s license