The Wine Group is one of the top leaders in the wine industry. As a privately held management-owned company with 12 wineries in California, New York, and Australia, we thrive to win with exceptional people who share our values. We produce many well-known brands including Franzia, Cupcake, Chloe, Flip Flop, Save Me San Francisco, Insurrection, Concannon, Benziger and Imagery.
Lab Technicians are responsible for chemical / physical analysis on wine, bottling line QA and product and packaging quality assessments. Lab Technicians possess a sense of urgency, take initiative and work with the highest attention to detail. Technicians are responsible for communicating and collaborating effectively with many functional areas within the company.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
* Provides guidance/training to lower level or less experience lab technicians.
* Support and model all company procedures and policies.
* Perform Analysis- Brix, Free SO2, Total SO2, pH, VA, TA, Alcohol, Turbidity, CO2, NH3.
* Enzymatic analysis (MAD, RS, NOPA), phenol, and more.
* Creating and updating lab spread sheets and data base to oversee wine chemistry change to ensure health of all wines.
* Maintain daily analysis spreadsheet and communicate results to Winemakers.
* Perform Bottling line QA checks.
* During harvest: Brix/Temp on fermentations daily and report to Winemakers in a timely manner.
* Rehydration /Addition of Yeast to tanks.
* Mixing and addition of nutrients to fermentations.
* Maintain running inventory of lab supplies.
* Bench Blend preparation for wines. Arranging samples, actual blending, analysis, bench trials as needed.
* Monitor waste water ponds.
* Maintain workplace clean and organized.
* Must embrace and demonstrate The Wine Group Core Values - Performance, Empowered and Cost-mindful, and keep them in mind when making all decisions.
* This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
* AS / BS degree in chemistry, food science, biology, process technology, quality assurance, enology, or related field or 5 years relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Computer skills: Excel pivot tables, charts, JDE, Instrument software, Intelex, MS Word, and MS Power Point.
* Demonstrated reliability and punctuality, work effectively in team/crew environment, adherence to all safety and food safety regulations and operating procedures.
* Must be able to work rotating shifts and overtime.
* Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedures/protocols.
* Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively.
* Knowledge of good laboratory practices, including sample and reagent preparation techniques, sample handling and good record keeping.
* Ability to apply concepts such as percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
* Ability to prioritize while able to adapt to changing priorities.
* Ability to write reports and correspondence.
* Computer skill requirements include: basic MS Outlook, Word and Excel.
* Must be able to frequently lift and carry weights of up to 50 pounds at varying frequencies.
* Possess the ability to work in a fast-paced production environment.
* Working environment is both indoors and outdoors, with exposure to related equipment and noise levels.
* Ability to perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, standing, and twisting in the performance of various tasks in the laboratory and or production environment.
* Must be able to repeatedly climb 20 feet tank stairs/vertical tank ladders.
The Wine Group is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
See Job Description