The next phase of growth for the winery will require focus, creativity and market-focused visionary leadership combined with marketing, sales management and operational expertise. The ESTATE SALES & MARKETING DIRECTOR will collaborate with CEO, Scott Haladay and Winemaker, Derrek Vipond- to chart the future course for the winery. This individual will play a key role in the comprehensive strategic review and planning process currently in its early stages. The ESTATE SALES & MARKETING DIRECTOR will be directly involved in building and implementing the financial, operational, sales and marketing programs necessary to meet the short-term and long- term goals established through this strategic planning process.
The opportunity to lead this next evolution in growth and profitability at the winery is an exciting one and will afford an opportunity to directly influence the marketing, sales, operation and production success which will fuel this growth.
The ESTATE SALES & MARKETING DIRECTOR will report directly to the CEO, and directly manage the sales and marketing teams: direct to consumer and distributor. In collaboration with the CEO, the ESTATE SALES & MARKETING DIRECTOR will develop and implement key sales and marketing strategies directed at growing revenues and profitability.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Strategic Team Leadership: Provide leadership to the marketing and sales organization: nurture company core values and vision.
2. Brand Leadership, Development & Management: Assist in the development of our strategic positioning framework, including brand architecture and strategy, market and competitive analysis, customer segmentation.
3. Strategic Marketing Leadership & Management: Design, implement, and facilitate annual and long-range strategic marketing plans; understand changing market dynamics, translating them into actionable marketing mix strategies across all sales channels (product, pricing, promotion, packaging).
4. Customer Relationship Management: Understand the changing needs, expectations and emotions of customers, working with all internal and external groups to ensure the greatest possible customer engagement is achieved and maintained.
5. Direct-to-Consumer Sales and Marketing: Provide marketing and sales leadership and oversight for all onsite retail/internet/ecommerce/DTC programs. Drive monthly/quarterly/annual goals and plans.
6. Distributor Sales and Marketing. In collaboration with CEO and Winemaker, rationalize distributor product strategy, including channel-specific product offerings, price points, and volumes. Manage in market distributor and top trade relationships, including staff education. Drive monthly/quarterly/annual goals and plans.
7. Creative Services: Manage creative services, ensuring consistency in brand representation and messaging across all digital and print collateral needs.
1. Sales and marketing leadership track record growing companies from $5-15mm - moving from entrepreneurial stage through formalization.
a. 5-10 years of demonstrated results growing profitable, direct sales channels through diverse direct marketing strategies: estate tasting room and hospitality; wine club; ecommerce and digital; out and inbound sales. Accountable for successful DTC sales in the 10,000 case range.
b. 5+ years regional or brand management sales track record, building sales from 5,000 to 10,000 cases. Ideally, existing Western US market relationships.
c. 5+ years consumer brand leadership, management and marketing experience.
d. 10+ years of winery or related experience and responsibility for managing a team of 10+ people.
e. Proven track record selling wine to top-tier clients and consumers.
2. Track record of successfully growing lifestyle and ultra-premium/luxury brands. Established media relationships.
3. Verifiable success building and developing well honed teams and demonstrated ability to hire well. Experienced at mentoring and developing young sales teams.
4. Experience with privately held winery in the 10-20,000 case range, quality and focus, with demonstrated ability to build trusting relationships with production teams.
5. Track record building trusting relationships and gaining the confidence of business owners.
6. P&L responsibility for building and executing short and long-term strategic and financial business plans with expertise working collaboratively with production teams.
ATTRIBUTES AND VALUES
1. Unquestionable degree of integrity in all of his/her business dealings.
2. Open and respectful communicator, experienced at building trust and engaging successfully with diverse personal styles.
3. Proven leadership with mature judgment, stability and ability to make sound intelligent and rapid business decisions.
4. Strong market driven sales mentality.
5. Results and profit driven orientation: use of analytics and performance management tools and process.
6. Passionate about wine and wine quality with a sophisticated palate.
7. Team oriented, participative style, with an ability to set aggressive objectives and steer the organization to meet them.
8. Personal commitment to governing through a decision-making process that is consistent, systematic yet collaborative where ideas are shared and challenged freely and respectfully.
9. Highly regarded by his/her peers, superiors, customers and competitor, and respected for the aggressive, creative and relentless pursuit of profitable business.
10. Very well connected and respected within the wine business community and maintains a strong professional network.
11. Flexible, quick to learn and adaptable, bringing creative new ideas and the personal power to implement them.
12. Effective verbal, presentation and written communicator.
An undergraduate degree is essential. A strong sales and operational background in the wine industry is preferred. An MBA in finance or marketing would be an asset.