Duckhorn Wine Company has helped set the standard for American fine wine for four decades. Founded by Dan and Margaret Duckhorn with the launch of Duckhorn Vineyards in 1976, the Duckhorn luxury portfolio has evolved to include Decoy, Goldeneye, Paraduxx, Migration, Canvasback, Calera, and Kosta Browne. Each winery has its own dedicated winemaker and focused winegrowing program. The portfolio encompasses five distinctive visitor centers, six state-of-the-art winemaking facilities, 300+ enthusiastic employees, and 870 acres of acclaimed estate vineyards from California’s Central Coast to Washington State’s Columbia Valley. Limited quantities of all wines are available direct from the winery, throughout the United States, on five continents, and in over 50 countries. For more information, visit DuckhornWineCompany.com.
SUMMARY: The Waterfowl Enologist will be responsible for maintaining and developing the laboratory team and processes, with the goal of supporting Waterfowl in its mission to deliver the highest level of wine quality, safety, compliance, sustainability, efficiency, service, and communication to DWC brand winemakers. This position will be required to produce results that are driven by a conviction for continuous improvement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Under the direction of the Waterfowl Production Winemaker, be responsible for the supervision of all lab functionalities.
• Develop, review and update lab SOPs and protocols for all required analysis.
• Review current analytical equipment inventory to identify opportunities for improvements based on input from DWC brand winemakers. Recommend and manage equipment purchasing.
• Manage the documentation, calibration and maintenance of lab equipment for the following analysis: pH, TA, brix, G/F, VA, ML, micro plating, cell counts and viability screening, filterability testing, DO, DCO2, FSO2, TSO2, and others as needed.
• Ensure timely, organized analysis per SOP and upon request from internal customers.
• Supervise and or complete lab analysis entry and tracking into our winemaking database.
• Ensure timely and accurate communication of lab analysis to DWC brand winemakers.
• Maintain efficient use of lab personnel time to ensure maximum lab productivity.
• Collaborate with QC and Bottling departments - including start up analysis, sterility checks, micro plating, etc.
• Cultivate a culture of pride, engagement, continuous improvement, and quality communication among peers and direct reports.
• Cultivate a ‘customer service’ culture.
• Provide guidance in development of technical and quality control guidelines.
• Guide lab and lab staff to comply with ISO 9001 standards.
• Organize sample requests and outside analysis as needed.
• Prepare and send samples to third-party laboratories as directed and needed, save and relay data to appropriate parties.
• Track data for microbiology, primary fermentation, secondary fermentations, and micro oxygenation. Relay information to Winemaking staff.
• Write sulfur addition work orders for tank and barrel monthly analysis.
• Order lab supplies and approve to appropriate payables account.
• Initiate hiring process, review resumes, and perform interviews for new hires and harvest interns.
• Maintain a safe and compliant work environment.
• CTS testing, organization and implementation. Take corrective action as needed if results come back out of specifications.
• Bachelor’s degree in Enology, or other chemistry related field
• Minimum 2 years of lead or supervisory wine industry experience
• Positive attitude
• Creative, flexible and innovative team player
• Excellent computer skills
• Good written communication skills
• Ability to multi-task & prioritize
• Detail oriented & organized
• Strong organizational, problem solving and, analytical skills
• Microsoft Navision experience preferable
• Ability to lift up to 45 lbs.
• Ability to drive a car
• Ability to stand for long periods at a time
• Ability to pull, push, kneel, bend, reach
• Ability to work split shift as necessary
Duckhorn Wine Company offers a highly competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits package. Please respond with resume and letter of introduction.