Rooted in rebellion. Commitment to regenerate.
Celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2018, Fetzer Vineyards is an award-winning purveyor of wines and spirits spanning multiple origins and available in more than 50 countries worldwide. In addition to robust offerings under the winery’s flagship Fetzer label, the winery also crafts the leading wine from organic grapes, Bonterra Organic Vineyards. Other California offerings include Adorada, Anthony’s Hill, Jekel Vineyards, Sanctuary Wines and 1000 Stories, the original Bourbon barrel-aged wine.
As a Vineyard Manager, you will work closely with the vineyard team throughout our sites, located in the Ukiah and Hopland areas. This includes ranches for our Bonterra brand. As the largest organic grape grower in the US, we farm 950+ acres of certified organic grapes and 250+ acres of biodynamically farmed grapes. You will be responsible for producing quality wine grapes at the right cost, by brand and product, for Mendocino County ranches by generating and implementing farm plans to meet financial and quality goals. This position reports to the Director of Vineyard Operations.
On-site company provided housing available.
Vineyard and Crop Management – 35%
• Prepare annual farming plans for area ranches to review with Vineyard Director to meet Organic, Biodynamic, quality, and cost goals.
• In season crop, fertility, pest, and disease management.
• Management of crop data, historical farming data.
• Interact with Winemaking team in order to produce fruit that meets desired goals of wine programs.
• Manage equipment performance, operation, and safety.
Personnel Management – 30%
• Coordinate seasonal hires, rehires, layoffs, etc. for seasonal workers.
• Responsible for timekeeping and tracking of employee hours worked, by task and location. Work closely with crew leaders, Payroll and Vineyard Finance team to ensure the timely and accurate collection of payroll data.
• Ensure proper safety and training of staff.
• Performance management.
Vineyard Finance and Planning - 25%
• Work with Vineyard Director to prepare annual expense and capital budgets to meet farm plan, production, and cost goals.
• Manage vineyard expenses within budgetary guidelines.
• Annual crop estimation – budget plan, post-set estimate, Veraison adjustment.
General Departmental Management /Other – 10%
• Find new products, management of experimental vineyards. Graph data, identify trends, draw conclusions and make recommendations.
• All activities performed in manner compliant with state, federal, local, company, and organic/Biodynamic policies and regulations.
• Bachelor of Science in Viticultural, Plant Science, Pest Management, Soil Science or related field and a minimum five years vineyard management experience, or equivalent combination education/experience.
• Excellent knowledge of viticulture and a general knowledge of winemaking practices and cycles.
• Experience managing and motivating employees.
• Experience with operation of wheel, crawler, and construction tractors, farming implements, machine harvesters as well as ATV and utility machines.
• Thorough understanding of finance and budget processes.
• Thorough knowledge of viticulture practices and experience in vineyard planning and development.
• Commitment to safety excellence and producing work of the highest quality.
• . Fluent Field English/Spanish or Bilingual preferred.
• Ability to measure, document, analyze and maintain data.
• Exceptional organizational skills to track farming data and maintain records.
• Demonstrated supervisory skills - ability to delegate work, set clear direction and manage work flow.
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with all levels of employees and outside contacts such as vendors, sales/marketing staff, agencies and contractors in written and verbal forms.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
• Ability to safely operate an ATV through various vineyard conditions.
• Requires on-call status for emergencies and may require weekend and night time call-ins during various growing seasons.
• Valid CA Driver License.
Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. as needed; ability to drive motor vehicles to assigned ranches, work locations and offices; able to work in all weather conditions including but not limited to heat, cold, wet and windy. Ability to walk and perform physical work in vineyards with steep and/or uneven terrain, mud, dust and soft soil. Ability to climb, crawl, squat, kneel, and bend. Sitting, hand/finger dexterity, and working at computer or in an office or shop setting required.
About Fetzer Vineyards:
Our California winery operation includes 1000 acres of farmed vineyards and over 3 million cases produced annually. Operations include Mendocino County winery, production and vineyard locations. The company employs nearly 330 across the United States.
Fetzer Vineyards’ corporate office is located at 12901 Old River Rd Hopland, CA 95449 Hopland is a small town of less than 800 people located at the start of the Redwoods of Northern California. It is about a two hour drive, along scenic U.S. Route 101, north of San Francisco.
On-site company provided housing available. Vehicle provided.
To Apply: Tell us about your passion for the wine industry and send your resume to: http://FetzerVineyards.appone.com.
Requires successful completion of criminal background, DMV check (if applicable) and drug screen. AA/EOE/M/F/D/V
You will be required to submit verification of your citizenship or legal right to work in the United States at the time of an offer of employment.