A passionate leader and persuasive communicator is sought to guide the San Luis Obispo Wine Country Association (SLO Wine) into its next chapter. Comprised of 34 member wineries & growers, the nonprofit’s mission is to increase the local, regional and global awareness of the San Luis Obispo Coast wine region, a region increasingly renowned for its impeccable cool-climate wines, welcoming hospitality, and coastal lifestyle.
SLO Wine is the trade association representing the wineries and growers of the San Luis Obispo Coast wine region, which stretches the length of the San Luis Obispo coast, west of the Santa Lucia Mountains from the Santa Barbara County line in the south to the Monterey County line in the north. Our region is the closest to the coast, creating a unique and spectacular region for cool-climate varietals. We are at an incredibly exciting juncture in our almost 30 year history. We are the recipient of our first-ever CDFA grant to rebrand the Association and increase our visibility in key target markets. We have recently received significant recognition, including a cover feature, from national wine publications. And a petition has been submitted to create a new AVA that covers the region of our Association, including the established AVAs of Edna Valley and Arroyo Grande Valley.
About the Position
The Executive Director will provide high profile leadership, vision, and hands-on implementation for the marketing, brand building, public profile, programs and events of SLO Wine. S/he will facilitate and lead member and board efforts to achieve the mission and goals of the Association as approved by the 8 person Board of Directors, and work directly with the constituents of the Association, including the Board, board committees, winery members, associate members, tourism partners, industry and community organizations, media, and the public. The Executive Director has full P&L responsibility for our budget of approximately $500,000. Our staff is small – the Executive Director is assisted by a part-time marketing and administrative assistant – but supported by a marketing agency, a public relations firm, a social media contractor, a bookkeeping service, an event contractor, and a grant consultant. This environment provides tremendous opportunity to set the course and guide the future of the Association. It also demands complete accountability. A strong candidate will thrive in this setting and take ownership of every aspect of our organization.
Does This Describe You?
• A Strategic Visionary – able to dream big and chart a course to get there, excellent judgment and decision-making ability.
• A Tactical Implementer – a self-assured professional with strong project management skills, organized with excellent attention to detail, an independent and collaborative self-starter able to shift gears and balance competing priorities.
• A Persuasive Communicator - deeply relational and authentic, an influencer and ambassador, relates well to all kinds of people inside and outside the organization, uses diplomacy and tact, able to facilitate and achieve consensus among opposing views, maintains a respected reputation for self and organization, comfortable in the public spotlight, able to make a vision come to life for others.
• A Brand Builder – able to translate a vision into an established brand, using creativity, consistency, tenacity, and commitment, creatively analytical, zealous about metrics, adept with social media.
• Loves Numbers – analytical, inquisitive, not afraid to ask the obvious or obscure questions, energized by goals, budgets, metrics, and data, comfortable targeting funding sources and securing resources.
• Passionate – excited about the opportunity to chart the course of an up and coming wine region exceptionally suited for cool-climate varietals, pro-active and energetic with a strong work ethic, willing to break the status quo by thinking in new ways and trying new ideas.
Full Job Description can be found at http://www.slowine.com/contact/jobs-in-slo-wine-country.php. Cover letter, resume and completed required questionnaire (link in Full Job Description) by November 26. Please do not contact the Association directly. Please note that submissions without the completed questionnaire will not be considered.
Also visit our Association website to learn more about our organization and our wine region: www.SLOWine.com.