Under the direction of the Enologist and Lab Manager, the Laboratory Technician II position will be responsible for performing routine analyses on juice, wine, and champagne. This position requires the ability to follow directions, work independently, and manage time effectively and efficiently.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Job duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Functional areas include: sample log-in, sample prep, wet chemistry, operation of autotitrator, densitometer, and enzymatic analyzer; reagent preparation; microbiology/microscopy
- Prioritize and organize sampling of juice, wine, tirage, and finished goods
- Provide assistance to senior lab personnel with various discretionary tasks, as necessary
- Perform calibrations and standardizations of instruments and reagents
- Assist the Enologist and Lab Manager with fining trials, research and development, and other special projects
- Follow explicitly, all Standard Operating Procedures and safety protocols, notifying the lab supervisor of any changes to procedure
- Monitor tank and barrel fermentations as requested
- Participate in general housekeeping of the laboratory
- Maintain clear and concise records of analysis, standards, and all other samples
Desired Qualities in an Applicant
- Ideally, previous lab experience and/or an understanding of the importance of the lab’s function in a winery environment
- Familiarity with wine, beer, and/or spirits. A passion for this industry is a plus!
- A healthy curiosity and desire to learn new things
- Positive attitude and the ability to maintain collaborative relationships with co-workers
- Excellent attendance and dependability
- Solid computer skills, including knowledge of Outlook, Word, and Excel
Required to stand for long periods of time; reach with hands and arms; sit, walk, climb stairs, kneel, crouch; work at heights greater than 30 feet from the ground, and be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds of weight.
A four-year B.S., B.A., or equivalent college degree is required. A degree in enology, chemistry, food science, or related scientific discipline is highly desirable, but not mandatory. This position requires strong organizational skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, and high attention to detail. Must be willing to work flexible hours including overtime and varying shifts, especially during August through October.
The Lab Technician II is an hourly position that includes medical, dental, and vision benefits, 401(k) with employer contribution after probationary period. To apply, please send your resume by fax to: (707) 824-7381, email directly through this ad or complete an application at 13250 River Road, Guerneville, CA 95446.